free website stats program Extended warrenty on used FXDLI advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended warrenty on used FXDLI advice

fxdli04menifee

I found this cherry 04 FXDLI with 47, YES 47 total miles on it. I was thinking of getting the 3yr extended warrenty for 1500 bucks. I am mechanically inclined and only plan on taking it in for 1000 and 2500 mile service. I am now thinking the warrenty is a waste of 1500 bucks...any advice?

First, I'd mostly be concerned with why a 2004 had only 47 miles on it - that's criminal!

Instead of spending big on the warranty, I'd invest a couple hundred up front to have a trusted mechanic give it a total once over. If he gives it a clean bill of health, I'd invest what's left of the $1500 in something other than the warranty.

I found this cherry 04 FXDLI with 47, YES 47 total miles on it. I was thinking of getting the 3yr extended warrenty for 1500 bucks. I am mechanically inclined and only plan on taking it in for 1000 and 2500 mile service. I am now thinking the warrenty is a waste of 1500 bucks...any advice?

Hmm. 47 actual miles? Where has it been?

If you are mechanically inclined, and have the HD Factory Service Manual and some basic tools, I would say that you might find better use for the money. I have never filed on my warranties because I would have to let the Dealership do the work (Fisher, please excuse this - we know there are a few of you good guys out there!!). I prefer to do it myself so I know what has been done, AND I know who to blame!!

If you feel you have the aptitude, ability and time to fix whatever might go wrong, then save the money for other things.

Sounds like you found a great deal.

TQ

Found it at the dealer. was looking at 09 fxdl but a lil bit out of my budget. One day happened in and a yuppie had bought two 04's (sporty and dyna his n hers) and never used them. sat in the garage. got it for 12K well in my range. I can do the work and have the time.

Funny sales guy never really pushed the warrenty stuff until I called today to tell him I was going to drop it and then the pitch started blah blah seal, blah blah blah tire blah blah.

Rather take the 1500 and buy a service man and some nice chrome....this all make sense.....this is my forst HD so wish me luck

I would ask to see any service records or other documents that the bike had. It should be logged in their system. If it was at the dealer for that long, there could be a reason.

Every once in a while you see these. One of the dealers near me had few months back had an 03 Deuce that had 4 miles on it and had never been sold. If I had the money it would have gone home with me (I love the 03 paint jobs.) but you do stumble across these every now and then. I agree with glider I would want to see the service records (if there are any.)

I recently purchased an '07 with 1 month warranty on it. The guy said he did a proper break in and then drove to california and back. I purchased a 4 yr warranty for $1650.00. Pricey for sure ,but it only takes one major problem to pay for itself. I just feel better knowing I have some warranty.

My warranty is up in febuary ..I'm not sure weather I will extend it or not.. My brain is still chewing on it. It is a comforting feeling to know it's there .

The $1500 sounds a bit high depending on what coverages you got with it.

Take a look here.

Extended Warranties - Harley Davidson Community

1499.99 for full war including wheels.tires.gaskets etc. The bike sat at the guys house who bought it so no maint was done and was att he dealers for all of 2 hours when i found it. I am tossed between peace of mind and saving money for other stuff.

Back