free website stats program Extended Warranty ????? | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended Warranty ?????

joel

Are these new touring bikes [08-09] dependable enough to elect not to buy the extended warranty. There is the 5 or 7 year warranty options, but sounds like it is really 3 or 5 yr. cause the factory warranty is 2 yr. and I feel that if I purchase it, the extended wararnty should start after factory warranty runs out, also after reading the covered and not covered items, example, covered suspension, not covered shocks and frame. It seems they have loop holes. I didn't buy extended warranty on my 03 RKC or 08 FHLTCU and no major problem. I know the final decision is mine, but any feed back about engine / trans failures would be good, I've looked through this site for awhile but havn't seen enough repeted failures to help me off the fence

I had posted the same question a few months ago and after the feedback on that showing a weakness in the crankshaft among other things I decided that the extended was cheap insurance.

I figured for about $200 a year, like Steve said, it's cheap insurance. I know that I've spent more than that on things a lot harder to justify. JMO

you don't have to buy right away. You can purchase the extended warranty any time before your 2 year factory warranty runs out. I would buy the bike with out it, and ride it like you stole it for a couple years and see how it responds. Make payments to yourself over that time in case you decide to get it later. If you figure the warranty cost 2 grand that's about 85 bucks a month for 24 months.

My present 2008 Electraglide is Harley #4 over the past ten years.

They have all been pretty reliable and no mechanical problems of note.

I ride the (EDIT) out of my motorcyle and if I can't break it in the first two years, its probably not going to break....

Note: messages now contain pre-edited format to save Glider some time.:D

I figured for about $200 a year, like Steve said, it's cheap insurance. I know that I've spent more than that on things a lot harder to justify. JMO

you don't have to buy right away. You can purchase the extended warranty any time before your 2 year factory warranty runs out. I would buy the bike with out it, and ride it like you stole it for a couple years and see how it responds. Make payments to yourself over that time in case you decide to get it later. If you figure the warranty cost 2 grand that's about 85 bucks a month for 24 months.

I'm not a math major but there seems to be a discrepancy here! Guess it all depends on how you look at things - well known fact that you can make statistics say just about anything.

I'm not a math major but there seems to be a discrepancy here! Guess it all depends on how you look at things - well known fact that you can make statistics say just about anything.

My math worked like this. 7 year total coverage was about $1400. I know the first two years is included in that but, justification can be hard to explain.:eam

Hey thanks for the input fellas, I most likely will be keeping engine stock for awhile, and doing the forced savings for the first 24 months is a good idea. would it be safe to say that engine related failures mostly occure with modification, the 03 RKC had 24,000 miles with only stage 1, plugs and fuel filter changes and never a problem. I know there will be times when I may ride her hard, but not consistant, as the Ultra's, aka geezer bike, will remain our designated long trip ride.

My math worked like this. 7 year total coverage was about $1400. I know the first two years is included in that but, justification can be hard to explain.:eam

OK, so 7 years total is 5 years beyond the factory warranty so that's still only $280 a year or about $24 a month. I'd say you got a pretty good deal. I've left everything stock from the air filter to the exhaust for now. Still have 13 months of factory warranty left but if I don't end up trading for a newer bike, I'll probably be looking into the extended warranty if I can get numbers like these.

Back