free website stats program Extended fuel options for a Sportster 48. | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended fuel options for a Sportster 48.

Now granted, my 48 was never supposed to be a long hauler. I bought it and had it titled for my business for local pick-ups. I had a detachable rack installed, and found a carrier for my needs.

001-16-2.jpg

The problem, of course, is that the little 48 is a blast to ride! So much so that I keep popping my fuel warning light on!

Larger Sportie tanks could cost about 1,000 bucks figuring in paint and installation as EFI bikes have electronic connections (to which I am not familiar.) I checked the 'net for spare tanks that would fit my rack, but many look like larger aluminum fuel cells that might require a direct hook-up.

Has anyone found a gas can that can be mounted to a Harley detachable rack, easy to pour, and holds a gallon or more? We have lots of off-ramps on our slab, and little burgs on Class A highway. If I could go 80 miles between fills, it would be great.

Right now, at about 55 miles the warning light pops on, and I have been told not to trust it.

I'm not familiar with the characteristics of your bike but a fuel warning light at only 55 miles sounds extremely short. The tank is surely at least 3 gallons and probably about 3.5 (check manual) If you only got 40mpg then at 80 miles you would have at least a full gallon left in the tank.

Here's what I would do. Figure out how many miles per gallon you get. Check the manaul to see how big the tank is. Then simply figure out how many miles you can go before having to stop. I would recommend not going to far below one gallon remaining. You always want to leave yourself some. Get in the habit of using your trip odometer to guage your remaining fuel.

Now granted, my 48 was never supposed to be a long hauler. I bought it and had it titled for my business for local pick-ups. I had a detachable rack installed, and found a carrier for my needs.

001-16-2.jpg

The problem, of course, is that the little 48 is a blast to ride! So much so that I keep popping my fuel warning light on!

Larger Sportie tanks could cost about 1,000 bucks figuring in paint and installation as EFI bikes have electronic connections (to which I am not familiar.) I checked the 'net for spare tanks that would fit my rack, but many look like larger aluminum fuel cells that might require a direct hook-up.

Has anyone found a gas can that can be mounted to a Harley detachable rack, easy to pour, and holds a gallon or more? We have lots of off-ramps on our slab, and little burgs on Class A highway. If I could go 80 miles between fills, it would be great.

Right now, at about 55 miles the warning light pops on, and I have been told not to trust it.

Chops Garage Check out Reda Gas cans here, Chopper is a member here and a great guy:s

The tank is surely at least 3 gallons and probably about 3.5 (check manual).

No, that's the problem. The 48 model uses the original peanut 2.1 tank, not the elongated 3.3, like on the Nightster.

If +/-40 miles per gallon is average (I hope, I hope, I hope), then I am into the second gallon by the time the light goes on. If it takes me 10 to 15 miles to get to the off-ramp and find a station--which is easy in my area--it still means I have gone about 70 miles. Not much room for error.

And trust me, it you have driven 'spiritedly' on the slab, who knows how the computer figures my remaining mileage. That's why the guys at the shop told me not to trust the light. Just head for a station.

Jack, I will check Chops Garage. Thanks for the info.

Tourist,
I know what you mean about the peanut tank on the sporties. My '92 also has a 2.1 gal. It hits reserve at about 72 miles and at about 90 miles it is empty. I always use my trip meter to gage when I need gas.
Russell

Whacko, both Jack and you showed me the same fuel cell. I'm going to look into it.

Russell, I think this mileage issue was the same for you that it is for me. That being, at 70 miles you're in trouble.

My wife always gives me a gas card. I've made a mental note of all of the stores where the card works. When I'm on the highway and the little yellow light goes on it's already too late to come up with a back-up plan. I have to *know* where I'm going.

That said, I love the little bike, and I prefer the look of a real peanut tank over the butchered up banana on the newer Sportsters.

My trip meter is my fuel gauge... it gets reset every time I gas up. I've run 12-13 miles with the fuel light on, but was nervous doing it. I have the 3.3 gal tank, fuel light comes on at about 90 miles

Back