free website stats program exploding pistons | Harley Davidson Forums

exploding pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritwolf

Account Removed
Anyone out there recently have a screaming eagle upgrade that blew up in a few miles (mine in 7 miles) after it left the shop? Mine was installed by a certified H-D mechanic, and the H-D factory rep had the (EDIT) to say it was a mis-installed wrist pin keeper. Any mechanic with a few brains knows that when that happens, the cylinder is scored and usually doesn't lock up right away. This engine had a shattered front piston amd no telltale scoring in the cylinder. Found out that H-D put cast aluminum pistons in the kit instead of forged pistons. Any mech knows that in a 9.5 or higher compression engine you don't use cast pistons. Aparently H-D doesn't know this because they did just that and now won't admit they are at fault. Pass the blame off on the mechanic. Is this the brand I have trusted for many years, or have they aslo sold out to Tiawan?:(

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of the tragic mishap.

I have a few questions.

1) Did you actually do the math that is involved to calculate dynamic compression ratio. Just wonder how you came up with the number.
2) Did you do anything to calm down your spark advance curve.
3) Did you still have your Ion-knock retard sensing enabled.
4) Was there any valve damage.

I don't have to perform the things you ask about. I have a certified mechanic todo that. besides, a H-D dealer reset the computer for the upgrade. I was told that was the comp ratio. I don't need a techie to question what happened. I know enough about engines to know an expolding piston over a mis-installed wrist pin keeper. Besides, I only want to know if others have had the problem. I know of three incidents already and from what I heard, this was a topic of discussion at the H-D dealers convention at Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. I also want to know if H-D is going to be man enough to step up and admit their 'cost cutting' on the kit didn't work.

I don't have to perform the things you ask about. I don't need a techie to question what happened.

I did not ask you to perform anything. I asked if they were perform by your Certified Mechanic. Reason being I was trying to come up with a logical reason why your piston exploded.

It sounds like you have your own plan which is fine by me. Have a Great day....

I believe that if you will look back at you prior posting you will see that, in fact, you did ask if I performed 4 tasked. You said nothing about whether I or my mechanic did them. As I stated in my first posting - I was wondering if anyone else has experienced or heard about this problem. I'm not looking for a fix. The only real fix is if H-D admits to their screwup. But they won't. A recall of this magnitude would break them. It isn't only in the sportster upgrade, it is happening in the bigger engine upgrades also.

Anyone out there recently have a screaming eagle upgrade that blew up in a few miles (mine in 7 miles) after it left the shop? Mine was installed by a certified H-D mechanic, and the H-D factory rep had the b---s to say it was a mis-installed wrist pin keeper. Any mechanic with a few brains knows that when that happens, the cylinder is scored and usually doesn't lock up right away. This engine had a shattered front piston amd no telltale scoring in the cylinder. Found out that H-D put cast aluminum pistons in the kit instead of forged pistons. Any mech knows that in a 9.5 or higher compression engine you don't use cast pistons. Aparently H-D doesn't know this because they did just that and now won't admit they are at fault. Pass the blame off on the mechanic. Is this the brand I have trusted for many years, or have they aslo sold out to Tiawan?:(

Dealer install? should be forged pistons IMO

I believe that if you will look back at you prior posting you will see that, in fact, you did ask if I performed 4 tasked. You said nothing about whether I or my mechanic did them. As I stated in my first posting - I was wondering if anyone else has experienced or heard about this problem. I'm not looking for a fix. The only real fix is if H-D admits to their screwup. But they won't. A recall of this magnitude would break them. It isn't only in the sportster upgrade, it is happening in the bigger engine upgrades also.

As I indicated in the PM I sent you with the infraction issued for language use, this site has a set of very strict rules governing the language used and conduct of the members on this site. This includes how members are expected to relate to each other. I strongly suggest that you review the rules immediately and adjust your conduct here at HDTimeline.com.

I understand you are upset by the situation you faced with your engine, and that you are understandably dissappointed or worse with Harley Davidson. I suggest that you focus your negative energy towards them rather than your fellow members here. All of us are guest here at HDTimeline.com, and are expected to act that way while interacting with the other guest present.

Regards,

TQ

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. I hope you get your problems sorted and decide to stick around.

Hoople is FAR from a "techie" as you put it and if you post asking for opinions and you get opinions, there's no need to disrespect anyone.
Also NO language at all is accepted here.

Poofclean-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back