free website stats program Exhust popping | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhust popping

madmax3434

have 2014 fatboy lo, replaced mufflers with vance and hines slip ons and now i get lots of popping on decel. normal? i do not have a fuel pak yet.

A fuel pak may help to rid of some of the popping, but I would first check for any leaks in the system, usually the main culprit. Check the slip-on connections and also where the header joins the cylinder. Loosen and retighten the nuts holding it together at the cylinder head exhaust port. Lower nut 9-18 in/lb., upper nut 100 to 120 in/lb., and then lower nut to 100 to 120 in/lb. To check for a leak free system, you can place a gloved hand over the exhaust end and the engine should die rather quickly.

Slide the mufflers off and apply some anti sieze or RTV silicone to the joints, are you using NEW torka clamps?

As Jeff said, new clamps might allow you to torque up the joints a bit more if you can feel a leak at the various joints. Check this when you first start the bike and the pipes are not way hot. Cup your hands around the joints and feel for an exhaust leak. Be VERY careful NOT to touch the pipes.

When I changed out my OEM air cleaner and exhaust to a high flow system with a new header pipe (sans CATs) and slip-ons, I had a significant amount of decel popping. Installed the Dobeck EJK and tuned out almost all of the popping.

So you will definitely need to richen up the AFR if the popping is not caused by an exhaust leak.

Cheers,

TQ

Thanks everyone for the help! Bike is in storage now. Just ordered the vance amd hines FP3 fuelpak. So when it gets warmer ill recheck for exhust leaks and install the FP3 fuelpak. As soon as I do I'll let youuys know. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks everyone for the help! Bike is in storage now. Just ordered the vance amd hines FP3 fuelpak. So when it gets warmer ill recheck for exhust leaks and install the FP3 fuelpak. As soon as I do I'll let youuys know. Thanks again everyone.

I had installed the FP3 on a FLSTC I had before going back to the FLHTCU103. I loved the FP3. Wish that the '12 had the HDLAN (CANbus) so I could get another one. Really made a difference in the amount of decel popping I had even after changing out the the A/C to a high flow one (SE). The bike already had the V&H exhaust pipes (Double Barrel Staggered). Mounted mine under the seat. Just put in the setup, downloaded the settings and flashed the ECU. Easy-peasy!

And I loved riding with the iPhone in a handlebar mount so I could monitor the sensors. Used mine mostly for tack since the Softail Classic did not have one.

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
Back