free website stats program Exhaust upgrade combinations | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust upgrade combinations

A question for all the experts. I have an 08 nightster, and I want to upgrade the exhaust system. Originally I was going to go with the V&H black shortshots until I saw the Competition series 2-1 that just came out and decided on those instead. The combo I'm looking at is the Competition series black 2-1 and the V&H Fuel Pak. I want to keep the stock air cleaner cover and I've been told that the SE stage one air filter kit will fit with the stock cover. My question is will the SE stage one kit fit with the stock cover, and will it provide the necessary air flow for this combination? Thanks for any help you can provide.

You should have no problems with the SE stage one air cleaner. The stock cover works great, as the SE system is designed to utilize it.

The SE provides plenty of air for the upgrades you are installing. Essentially you are installing a complete Stage one, which is higher flow air cleaner and high flow exhaust!

Enjoy!

I have the SE air cleaner and when you get it installed you need to use your stock cover. Nothing to worry.

Thanks to all. Hobbit, after you pointed out that the Competition series are drag pipes, I might just change my mind back to the shortshots. I want a daily rider that won't need constant attention.

Please dont make the same mistake as I did. Fualpak=bad. That was a $200 mistake I will never make again. The Fuelpak is adequate and nothing more. You will be disappointed when it pops and sputters consistently. I know I was.

Some folk have no problems, but others do. Do you want to gamble as to which group you will end up in? Not me, Id rather have it work 100%.

Which brand did you go with after the Fuel Pak? Or should I just have the Stage 1 download done at the dealer?

I did a super tuner from the dealer (cost about $800). There are cheaper ways to go. If I had a second choice I probably would have done a Power Commander.

The specific problem I had with the Fuelpak was that if I gave it any throttle while shifting it would pop. So picture yourself cruising around and you want to upshift. To do it without popping you have to completely lay off the throttle, wait for the the engine to lose a thousand revs, then clutch/shift, then lay on the throttle again. I know this is not the end of the world, but it was just annoying. The same type of thing had to be done when decelerating to avoid pops. Any clutch and throttle together would cause the problem. And I mean any. I am also not the type of person who slips the clutch very much either. Keep in mind it wouldnt pop every time, but frequently enough to piss me off. The problem is exacerbated during quick acceleration (as you typically slip the clutch more during hard accel).

The pluses of Fuelpak: cheap, easy to install, keeps you from hurting your engine if you have unrestricted pipes/high flow air intake.

The minuses of Fuelpak: not customizable. Odds are it will work most of the time, but there will be some scenarios that wont operate optimally. Those scenarios you will be stuck with and wont be able to adjust.

Last edited:
Back