free website stats program Exhaust recs for a Rigid Evolution | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust recs for a Rigid Evolution

RowdyRigid

Greetings,

I currently have mildly tweaked evo w/Mikuni45, andrews 27 cam but I am running 2:1 exhaust with a fishtail end to the pipe. I have to believe I am losing from HP with this exhaust. The motor/tranny are in a rigid wishbone frame.

Any exhaust recommendations for my motor/carb/cam that will easily bolt up to this frame? I don't mind welding up some tabs if I had to but, I'd prefer to not do that.

I don't need anything terrifyingly loud performance over all else. I had kinda of initially wanted the "matching" looks of the fishtail but I am guessing I am losing performance value.

Any help, recommendations, advice is appreciated.

How is the bike running? Any backfires or poor throttle response? If the bike is running well will you be able to tell if you pick up a horsepower or three? The cam your running is a good one for the Heritage but if your bike is very lite you would get more bang for your buck by going with the Andrews EV3.

Welcome to the Forum and your first post. Do you have any baffles in the fish tail? If not you can put exhaust splitters in to give you some back pressure and it will tone it down some. I ran fish tail drags on my baggers, I made splitters for them and they worked good Eyebolts - Bolts - Grainger Industrial Supply have a look at these, you can go bigger or smaller, weld a washer in the center also:s

How is the bike running? Any backfires or poor throttle response? If the bike is running well will you be able to tell if you pick up a horsepower or three? The cam your running is a good one for the Heritage but if your bike is very lite you would get more bang for your buck by going with the Andrews EV3.

Well I am 6'4 260lbs so probably doesn't matter how light my bike is lol. To answer your question throttle response seems a bit lackluster to me. I have always had beefed up shovels and did this build when the motor/tranny became available out of a buddies wreck. It runs well, gas mileage as expected but throttle just kind of lacks any excitement in the low range. I am definitely not a red light to red light racer I was just hoping for a bit more sparkle.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say because I sure don't. :)

I think I do understand. I have a '94 heritage with the EV27 cam and it gets through the gears pretty quick for a 700lb chunk of iron. As Jack said if your not running some type of baffel or plate (stright pipes) your really not going to see very good performance. I have a seriously reworked Woods CV carb, and I'm running Python duels. To get the low end performance I put a set of Thunder Monsters that pretty much look like what Jack described. Big City Thunder - Are You Baffled?

Welcome to the Forum and your first post. Do you have any baffles in the fish tail? If not you can put exhaust splitters in to give you some back pressure and it will tone it down some. I ran fish tail drags on my baggers, I made splitters for them and they worked good have a look at these, you can go bigger or smaller, weld a washer in the center also:s

Man I lost my entire reply to you not sure what I did wrong... Sorry I'll abbreviate this one.

I figured out the problem when I quoted you as a newb it wouldn't let me post the link you had... I have done the eye bolt and washer thing on previous drag pipes. Basically the fishtails fit the look I was originally going for but I want something more modern.

Also I am considering taking some time off from work and putting a big bore kit on the bike. It is a work in progress and maybe 10 yrs from now I'll be done fiddling around with it.

Looks like we were posting at about the same time. Try the link I sent. I was impressed with the low end grunt they gave the bike and the cost is under $80.

Looks like we were posting at about the same time. Try the link I sent. I was impressed with the low end grunt they gave the bike and the cost is under $80.

Yeah I went there. I like that very cool. Can't beat the price either. so I just pull the fishtail off slide that down the exhaust towards the fishtail and fasten it in there? Or do I put in between the "header" and the fishtail pipe?

Thanks definitely giving those a try.

It's been awhile since I put mine in. They do go in the end of of the exhaust, and if I remember correctly they give you a diagram of how far in they need to go. Just take the fishtail off measure back from there. I think I had to drill a 1/4" hole for the bolt that holds it in place. If you have any question they are great people to deal with, so give them a call.

Welcome to the forum. I have a shovel in a wishbone rigid. It's been years since I paid attention to pipes for rigids, but "Fog Hollow", "J&P Cycles, "Jireh" and Ebay used to have decent selections. Shotguns won't work with your horseshoe oil tank (I tried). I used 1 3/4" drag pipes (cut down) as head pipes and slip on mufflers from ebay. I had to slightly grind the brake pedal boss on the frame, but some "P" clamps kept me from having to weld anything. Like everything for a custom fab job, lots of catalog searching is required. Oh yea, Cycle Shack slips ons are a good performance, reasonable $ product.

Last edited:
Back