free website stats program exhaust question | Harley Davidson Forums

exhaust question

Quick question - I am going back to stock headers and probably stock mufflers. What type of grease or antisieze should I use between the mufflers and the pipes.

Thanks,
Dave

I use copper grease between the header pipes and the mufflers i need to fit the stock mufflers for M.O.T. one a year and the front muffler is removed to make oil changes easier and copper grease works for me

Brian

I prefer the copper, but haven't had any in a long time, so I use the silver. Seems to be effective.

Too loud, I like the stock sound. A nice mello rumble. I still haven't decided if I will put the stock mufflers on or the rinehearts that I just took off.

The bike came with the true duels and at first I thought oh that is cool. But after a long ride it just gets to me. So my first attempt is to go back to stock headers and see what difference that makes.

I think with the stock headers I won't have to adjust the tune. At least I hope not. It also came with a SERT and AC, essentially a stage one setup.

Thanks for asking,

Dave

Too loud, I like the stock sound. A nice mello rumble. I still haven't decided if I will put the stock mufflers on or the rinehearts that I just took off.

The bike came with the true duels and at first I thought oh that is cool. But after a long ride it just gets to me. So my first attempt is to go back to stock headers and see what difference that makes.

I think with the stock headers I won't have to adjust the tune. At least I hope not. It also came with a SERT and AC, essentially a stage one setup.

Thanks for asking,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The reason I ask it that I also went back to stock. I have a Stage 1 AC and the Stage 1 Download. I have the stock exhaust on my bike, and I can tell you it does make a difference. It is a lot quieter that you will notice right off the bat. The other thing I noticed was that when starting the bike, it would actually start faster. I don't know, and I can't explain it, but now I hit the starter and it fires right up. All the other stuff I had it seemed like it took a little longer to crank. Also noticed some what more pickup at higher speeds. I get up to about 55 or 60 and twist the throttle and it seemed more responsive. I guess that would be from the stock headers going back into almost like a 2 into 1. Well actually you have more exhaust on the right side than the left side. Plus you get the back pressure you lost on the true dual.

I say do it. You can't loose that is for sure, and no I don't have any type of fuel management system installed on my bike. I have a 2005 Electra Glide Standard with 99187 miles on it. Still running like a top.

i use bostick never-seez. have used it for years in boiler work. put it on the ends of the pipes and on the threads for the clamps, studs on the jugs for the exhaust flanges. nuthin worse than wrenching off a stud or trying to heat a nut stuck on a stud working under a 5 or 6 gallon bomb.

Back