free website stats program Exhaust Pipe Boot Melt | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Pipe Boot Melt

Dr.Evil

I am in the process of designing a high temp magnetic cloth patch that I can place on my exhaust pipe behind the the passenger foot board. I am tired of cleaning off melted boot rubber. I wanted something easy to place and remove because I don't 2 up very often.

Deos this sound like something someone else might want?

Dosen't heat destroy the magnetic affect of magnets?

I seem to recall that, and dropping them renders them somewhat ineffectual.

I will have to look it up, but you have to also remember that when iron containing metal goes through certain temperatures it will not stick to a magnet, even if the magnet was a "room temp", so you will have two things to compete with. The temperature depends on the amount of carbon present in the steel. It is called the Austenite (Austenetic Range) where steel exists as a face centered cube latice (Gamma Iron). From the table I have it is between about 1680F and 1350F. The higher the carbon content, the lower temperature at which the steal would become non-magnetic, unless the carbon content gets above 0.85%, then the temperature goes up.
Not sure about the type of steel in the exhaust.

I would think the magnet would be the more delicate issue with temperature. But there is still much about magnetism we don't know. Like certain stainless steels are non magnetic, yet when work hardened, they become magnetic. Certain kitchen sinks won't stick a magnet, unless you put the magnet at a bend, where it was work hardened.

Here is a perfect application for a piece of asbestos fabric. Good thing that has pretty much been outlawed!

I will have to look it up, but you have to also remember that when iron containing metal goes through certain temperatures it will not stick to a magnet, even if the magnet was a "room temp", so you will have two things to compete with. The temperature depends on the amount of carbon present in the steel. It is called the Austenite (Austenetic Range) where steel exists as a face centered cube latice (Gamma Iron). From the table I have it is between about 1680F and 1350F. The higher the carbon content, the lower temperature at which the steal would become non-magnetic, unless the carbon content gets above 0.85%, then the temperature goes up.
Not sure about the type of steel in the exhaust.

I would think the magnet would be the more delicate issue with temperature. But there is still much about magnetism we don't know. Like certain stainless steels are non magnetic, yet when work hardened, they become magnetic. Certain kitchen sinks won't stick a magnet, unless you put the magnet at a bend, where it was work hardened.

Here is a perfect application for a piece of asbestos fabric. Good thing that has pretty much been outlawed!

You can put the pipe to rest. took a magnet to it yesterday and "plunk" nice and stuck! I am planning a 4" piece of cloth exhaust wrap tape and an array of small disc magnets.

Not to knock your trying to invent something that would help with the problem your having, but there are things on the market like heel guards that keep you or your riding partner's boots from coming into contact with the exhaust. The trick to inventing something is to see a need that has not been met and than to fill that void.

I hear the concept of finding a need that has not already been addressed in inventing, but there is also the concept of cost. Sounds like Dr. Evil is onto something that is a pretty inexpensive!

I hear the concept of finding a need that has not already been addressed in inventing, but there is also the concept of cost. Sounds like Dr. Evil is onto something that is a pretty inexpensive!

That's what caught my attention. Seems inexpensive and best of all, EASY on/off. Keep us posted Dr. Evil.

Not to knock your trying to invent something that would help with the problem your having, but there are things on the market like heel guards that keep you or your riding partner's boots from coming into contact with the exhaust. The trick to inventing something is to see a need that has not been met and than to fill that void.

I have considered this as well. It seems that even those metal guards do not prevent the contact as a rider is struggling to get off. And a lot of bikes have pegs next to the pipe.

I have the parts on order; could be a couple of weeks.

I did try the flexible magnetic sign meterial but the magnetic property is not that strong.

Back