free website stats program Exhaust pipe big hole | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust pipe big hole

cowboywildbill

On my Electra glide I have the Sampson Caliber two into one exhaust pipes.
They don't have a mid mount near the transmission and only bolt to the heads and then at the rear. I started getting what sounded like valve train noise in a pull. I could not find a leak or feel it. But then it let loose.
A big hole behind the heat shield about 3 or 4 inches down behind the rear head. It turned the shield blue about the size of a quarter. I removed the pipes and welded it. Put them on and so far so good. I found a pair of stock headers that are new and have been epoxy coated for $50 bucks. All I need is slip on's. A friend of mine that is a HD Master tech told me I would be better off with factory head pipes and good slip on's. He said my low and mid range would be better and in his opinion would flow better than what I have.
I guess I'll find out. Now all I need is a set of Screaming eagles or equivalent.
I think the thin walled Sampson's aided by vibration and stress caused them to fail. We'll see what dif I get. Anyone have any exp. with these pipes?

I think your right Glider. I was never really impressed with these Sampsons. They were on the bike when I got it. I had to build a lot of weld on weld to fill it in. I figure it will crack and break next to the weld next time, since the welded area is probably stonger than the original pipe was.

Agree the 2-1 is nice if you like runnin fast n hard at the top, but for everyday all around use ,stock head pipe with some slipons . or T/Ds with smaller Dia. baffles, will always give you a nice low/med flow and feel, you will lose at top vs the 2-1,, but you be happy with the overall feel going with your new choice.

Back