free website stats program Exhaust packing | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust packing

22Raptor

Any recommendations where I could get “good” exhaust packing material or a better idea of packing? Have V&H slip-ons. V&H is out; they don’t manufacture my slip-ons anymore or carry the inserts. Don’t really want to buy new slip-ons, these are in excellent shape. Currently I’m using a layer of aluminum screening, layer of stainless steel wool. Another layer of screening, then a layer of 4 stroke exhaust fiberglass packing material from cycle riders. I put a 100 miles on every day at around 70mph (Desert), blow the packing out around the third day. Getting pretty good at re-packing :) but think I’m doing something wrong or using the wrong material.
98Ultra
94 Fatboy

If you have a marine dealer/boat yard in your area, go and ask to buy some fiberglass from them. There's 2 kinds, mat and roving. One is like cloth, and the other is random. Both work, but I think the cloth look lasts longer. It is a lot cheaper than specialty packaged muffler packing. If no boat yards nearby, try a auto body supply.

Thanks, what I did not mention was that the fiberglass packing I'm using is still intact. it's the material under it that's blowing. Even with the fiberglass intact the pipes are so loud that it's useless to turn on the radio. What I did notice when this started to happen was the original V&N material had different material layers. Unfortunately I don't remmeber what that material was so I can't mimic it.

Back