free website stats program Exhaust Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Leak

indianboy

I just put some V&H basic slipon mufflers on my 08 RoadGlide. After torquing everything down to specs I checked for exhaust leaks and on the right muffler I have a slight leak at the union. I took the muffler off, cleaned the area, slide the muffler on as far as it can go ( the left muffler now sticks out further than the right by 3/4"), reused the Harley torca clamps (they cover more of the area than the ones that came with V&H (I used the V&H clamps first) and there is still a little leak. I have done this three times now. There is no popping on deceleration or anything else. Short of putting high temp silicone on am I missing something? Am I trying for perfection? or is it alright? The left muffler is okay. Thanks

Make sure you have the clamp up to the forward edge of the muffler or it will not squeeze the muffler tight against the pipe. It has to be over the slits on the neck of the muffler to work properly.

I had the same problem when I installed the SE slip-ons. I purchased new torca clamps which helped but still had a tiny leak. Finally bit the bullet and reinstalled the slip-ons using high temp silicone sealer. Problem solved.

Just be careful to make sure the silicone fully covers the slits in the front end of the slip-ons, but do not apply excessive amounts of silicone.

I hate to say it I think I will have to do the same thing. Never used it before. Do you put on the inside of the neck of the muffler and then slide it on?

Thanks

Back