free website stats program exhaust gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

exhaust gaskets

xdanman

I am changing my 2010 Ultra headpipes to 09 pipes without cats.Has anybody ever cross referenced exhaust gaskets to some you can get at Napa or Adavance auto or another place than dealer? I have to go 15 miles to closest dealer, and then I will have to buy something else, chrome or something.:bigsmiley30:

The exhaust gasket is a crush gasket it is kinda like tight woolven steel wool but you should not have a problem useing the same gaskets . I use the same gaskets when I install my exhaust and I did not have any problems . If you feel more comfortable replacing the gaskets the only place I know that you can get them is at a dealer , but they are cheap and the dealer should have them in stock

On my old metric it had copper crush gaskets, you could cross them with Felpro gaskets and get them at Napa cheaper.You did not want to reuse those. Can you reuse the Harley gaskets?

I reused them and never had a problem but maybe I was lucky. I never tried to get harley parts from a auto store so I wouldn't know what is available at a auto parts store .

It is not recommended to reuse the exhaust gaskets - They "crush" and fill the voids between the exhaust head-pipe and the cylinder head. If you are changing pipes, chances are they are not going to have the same peaks and valleys as your old exhaust and could cause a leak - Not good.

They are only ten-dollars or so from the dealer - Better to be safe than sorry.

I also change "O" rings on the oil drain plugs at each fluid change, again, cheap preventive maintenance. The "O" ring on the tranny I usually change out at the beginning of the season and that is it for the year (unless it shows signs of wear or cracking).

Keep up with the nickel/dime stuff and it may save you big dollar problems down the road.

I always install new gaskets or o-rings when doing maintenance to the bike this could save you from a large headache at some point.

xdanman; replace the header gaskets - you don't want to have any leaks or future problems. Don't know if you can get them as a after-market item (always get mine from HD)...maybe other members can chime in...

I am changing my 2010 Ultra headpipes to 09 pipes without cats.Has anybody ever cross referenced exhaust gaskets to some you can get at Napa or Adavance auto or another place than dealer? I have to go 15 miles to closest dealer, and then I will have to buy something else, chrome or something.:bigsmiley30:

Not a gasket comment, but how are you dealing with the different 02 sensors?

You can buy aftermarket exhaust gaskets from just about every motorcycle parts place. I have gotten them from the dealer, J&P, JC Whitney even carries them. Your local Indie will have them. You can get several differnet styles, depending on what style the pipe end is. Woven flat, woven oval/round, copper, etc. If the ends of your new pipes look like stock pipes, I would buy a stock set from the dealer to be safe.

Back