free website stats program Exhaust end caps, peeling chrome | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust end caps, peeling chrome

boardy

The chrome on on the end caps of my Python Predator mufflers has started to peel after only 8 months and they look like (EDIT)
Has anybody had the chrome stripped off their end caps and had them powder coated?
Do you need to have the chrome stripped off prior to powder coating?
What was the result?
Has the powder coat stayed intact?
Is their a better solution than powder coating?

Cheers for any advice.

Regards,

Chris.

England.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I had that problem with a set of SE pipe caps. Had the chrome stripped off and flat black powder coated. Looked good and held up well for the couple of years I had the bike after that was done. The place that did the powder coating stripped the chrome off for like $10.00 extra.

I know of a fellow rider that had discoloration on end caps and his solution was BBQ Black Paint.

thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated.

My apologies to the moderators, I did not realise that replacing letters with an asterisk would offend or was against forum rules.

Regards,

Chris.

England.

Hi Chris. I,ve just joined the forum. Not seen you for while (winter in UK)! Hope to see you at Lytham or Preston Harley in Spring. John (same job:-Manchester.....but retired as you know!)

Chris in the UK here as well my v&h end caps peelled and corroded were replaced under warranty, but happened again so had them stripped blasted and powder coated

Hi Hobbit. The end caps on my Monster Ovals are starting to bubble. If you don't mind my asking,where did you get your end caps powder coated and what did it cost. Are they lasting OK? I am in Manchester UK. Thanks.:)

Anyone got ideas on why the end caps on Monster Ovals bubble please? It seems a popular problem from what I,ve read on the net.:UK

Aluminum expands too much under exhaust heat to ever hold chrome plating. Whenit heats and expands it cracks the chrome microscopically. It will never stay on. Mine started peeling and i sandblasted them to rough up yhe chrome that was left. I sprayed them with high heat black wrinkle paint then cured them kn my oven at 175 for about 30 minutes. They look great and have been on two years.

Back