free website stats program Excessive high idle speed, 2007 Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Excessive high idle speed, 2007 Street Glide

lightning

My buddy has a 2007 Street Glide bought new having had a 110 performance upgrade. Not long after taking delivery he began having trouble with the idle often near the 2000 rpm mark after coming to a stop. Blipping the throttle will not bring it back down, nor any other attempts. As usual it doesn’t always act up especially when he took it back to the dealer. Dealer says unable to duplicate condition. Yet as if it has a mind of it’s own, suddenly after coming to a stop the idle stays very high.
Any ideas????

Is the idle high when he starts it up? If so, it could be because he's not letting the idle drop before shutting the engine off. Also, make sure he is shutting the engine off with the kill switch before turning the ignition switch to off. There's something in the ECM that monitors idle speed and will go to a higher idle if it's turned off high, and it takes several start/stops to recalibrate.

Is the idle high when he starts it up? If so, it could be because he's not letting the idle drop before shutting the engine off. Also, make sure he is shutting the engine off with the kill switch before turning the ignition switch to off. There's something in the ECM that monitors idle speed and will go to a higher idle if it's turned off high, and it takes several start/stops to recalibrate.

only applies to 2008 with TBW if im correct .. the 07 still have cables

No the idle is normal at start up. The condition is hit or miss. I thought I heard the condition you mention shutting off engine with ignition applied only to 08 or newer models with throttle sensor not with throttle cables. Am I getting my facts mixed up?
I thought perhaps he might have a problem with a vacuum leak but with all this electronic stuff that would be to simple.

My buddy has a 2007 Street Glide bought new having had a 110 performance upgrade. Not long after taking delivery he began having trouble with the idle often near the 2000 rpm mark after coming to a stop. Blipping the throttle will not bring it back down, nor any other attempts. As usual it doesn’t always act up especially when he took it back to the dealer. Dealer says unable to duplicate condition. Yet as if it has a mind of it’s own, suddenly after coming to a stop the idle stays very high.
Any ideas????

Has there been any other mods. with this scoot ..i.e. new grips,bars,risers,cables?

Problem probably is with the IAC (Intake air control) which is a stepper motor that opens and closes to give you the bypass for the idle speed. If it hangs up or malfunctions the idle speed will be effected as a result. Cleaning or replacing the IAC in the throttle body is the only way of remedying it.

Problem probably is with the IAC (Intake air control) which is a stepper motor that opens and closes to give you the bypass for the idle speed. If it hangs up or malfunctions the idle speed will be effected as a result. Cleaning or replacing the IAC in the throttle body is the only way of remedying it.
Glider is correct. The IAC is the only thing that can control the ilde if the throttle is closed,unless you have an air leak afler the throttle body. Make shure you dont have a loose connector or loose pin fit at the IAC.

Thanks guys, I'll pass this information on to my buddy.
And yes there were the usual upgrades that typically go along with the 110 performance upgrade such as gear drive cam, performance cams, heads etc…
Bars were not changed but grips were. Doesn’t seem to be a problem with sticking throttle cables; but perhaps as Glider said the IAC would be the first place to start other than looking for an air leak.

Back