free website stats program Evolution V-2 Engine? | Harley Davidson Forums

Evolution V-2 Engine?

Randall K. Wilson

Do learned scholars agree that it was the Evolution V-2 engine and the ribbed drive belt that was largely helped to turn around the HD Co. In the sense that the company made such a strong comeback in the 1990's? Or was it just simply a "cultural fad" that weighed in on the history of all of this?

Also, the Evolution Engine on the Sporters is smaller than the Evolution that is on the Softail, Dynas, and Touring lines. Is it basically the same engine design wise? Is it just a matter of the displacement size? I ask because engines seem to look distinctly different to me.

Hope to hear some comentary on my post.

I don't have a lot of Harley knowledge or experience to share, but from everything I've read the EVO was an "inprovement" over it's predecessor much like the twin-cam engine was an extention of the EVO...the continuing process of development and change.

The benefits of the belt drive to chain driven motorcycles can be debated all day, but IMO there are significant benefits to having a belt-drive system over a chain one, but thats me.

The EVO engine had a long run and many/most are still in use today whether stock or modded, which is a testament to their longevity and design.

Just from aesthetics, the engine of the EVO equipped Sportsters is a bit smaller than the full sized ones, but I think that was just a functionality issue vice mechanical...the engines share the same basic operating principles I think.

I think 50/50 on first ? V2 big improvement over shovel motor have both. + fad too. cant comment on 2 ? do not know enough about sportsters.....:s my 2 cents

Although the evo sportster is a unit construction and as such has a different bottom end the top end is similar to the evo big twin
once you have stripped the top end of each type then it is easy to tell that they are very closley related
and as such both suffer from the same problems of cylinder base gaskets and lower rocker gaskets blowing

Brian

True that lower rocker box gaskets blow frequently, the new superceded gasket takes care of that problem. The unfortunate thing for me is that the Sporty just does not have the ride or size that I would need in order to be an only bike. Now to get one as a 2nd bike that would be ok. JMO.

Randall; Although I'm a "learned scholar" only in my own mind, I think you asked two very important questions regarding Harley's return to success. The introduction of the evolution engine was accompanied by a commitment to quality by the factory. This happened in 1985, exactly when the baby boomers started having expendable income, and the much blamed "mid-life crisis" that screamed for rebellion and recognition.The new engine (and belt drive) meant Anyone could buy, ride and enjoy a Harley. You no longer had to be a mechanic (which was/is debatable), to enjoy one. Just get on and go and go and go. Anywhere. The evo was introduced in '85, and by 89-90 it's solid reputation had dealer showrooms empty, the MOCO working around the clock, and buyers standing in line, willing to buy ANY model that came in unclaimed.

Last edited:
Back