free website stats program evo troubles | Harley Davidson Forums

evo troubles

rooster85

(sorry i know it is hard to read, bad spelling, and long run ons i again am sorry)

i have a 1985 softail with the 80 Cubic Inch evo. I have been haveing problems with it.

for the bad. it sit for about 2 years without running. i parked it due to lack of funds to fix the bike it had a electraical problem and i thought i would have to do a total rewire on the bike, i finally found the electrical bug and after getting it started up and haveing to deal with the oil shooting out the motor. i finally got it to run real good. it ran great for one night one test run. the next day i went to ride the bike to my local bike shop to show it off and order some other parts like tires. i made it as far as the drive way and the bike started sputtering and dieing i pulled it back in the garage pulled the spark plugs. i cleaned them and and ran great for about a mile down the road, then it wouldnt run for anything, i ended up haveing to run the bike with the choke out and at an idle to get it back home, any throttle and the motor died. to try and fix this i took the carb off completely tore it down and cleaned everything, i cleaned out the fuel filter, replaced the spark plugs and i also replaced the rubber seal the carb uses to mount to the manifold. once i was able to get it to start back up, it would run for about 20 sec then of course die. while tring to trouble shoot the electrical vacume part of the carb i had realized that the top crossover line. for the tanks had came undone. after pluging it back in it would idle and run. dueing the test run it did great for about 20 min. then when i was really testing out the bike i had it in last gear half throttle and i gunned it, it started sputtering and pukeing and died, i had to down shift and pop the clutch rideing like that for about 10 sec before it fired back up. after getting it back home i checked the crossover line and it didnt come off again.

i know im missing something simple can someone anyone give me advice, im tring to get the bike ready for a trip across texas, it will be my longest ride i have done on the bike since i have owned it. and i will be leaveing on the 17th i still have to get the bike inspected and registerd.

(sorry i know it is hard to read, bad spelling, and long run ons i again am sorry)

I just went thru a problem like yours make sure the filter in petcock is clean but now for the strange part it ended up being too big a dip in the fuel line went to an s&s 45 degree fuel line and it ran perfect i know it sounds strange but it worked,jel

Also, I would check your carb float adjustment and inlet valve. I went through similar trouble until I tuned the carb properly.The float valve wasn't closing properly and carb was overflowing. Let is sit with open petcock for about 10-15 minutes. If it starts leaking gas through the carb, that's your problem. Also, definitely check the petcock filter and make sure your tank is clean. After sitting for 2 years I bet there is plenty of water and dirt accumulated.

Kinda what Jel is talking about above. I suggest replacing ALL the hosing on the bike. If that is a 40CV carb and you have a VOES, replace the vacuum line to that. None of this has to come from Harley - just go to the auto parts store and buy same size tubing.

When you rebuilt the carb, did you replace the jets or just clean them? Did you chase all the orifices with some aerosol carb cleaner? And did you open up and inspect the slide diaphram? Did you replace the diaphram in the accelerator pump? Finally, did you take out the idle/air mixture needle and spray that out with carb cleaner?

I agree with the comment above to take the tank off and give it a thorough cleaning inside. Inspect the petcock screen and clean that. Might replace it if you can.

So those are the things I would suggest with a bike that has sat that long.

TQ

sorry i missed the part about sitting for two yrs ive worked on a few bikes that sat ive been able to clean the main jet but the primary jrt is so small forget it buy a new one and from where your having the problem at low speed it points to the primary jet,jel

Back