free website stats program Evo Timing marks-Howto set static timing. | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo Timing marks-Howto set static timing.

bbarbee

I'm installing a dyna s ignition. What timing marks are what? Line is TDC. Also have 2 dots and 1 dot. Setting the timing like instructions say doesn't seem to work. What am I missing? Thanks

I'm installing a dyna s ignition. What timing marks are what? Line is TDC. Also have 2 dots and 1 dot. Setting the timing like instructions say doesn't seem to work. What am I missing? Thanks

You need to make sure you are on TDC of cylinder #1. Here is what I suggest:
  • Pull the plugs
  • Collapse the pushrod covers on the front cylinder's pushrods
  • Jack up the rear of the bike so you can rotate the rear wheel
  • Put the tranny in 4th or 5th gear and take out the timing mark plug
  • Rotate the rear wheel while watching the pushrods
  • You should see the exhaust rod rise and then come back down and then immediately the intake will rise and start to come down
  • Get on the left side of the engine and peer in the spark plug hole as you slowly rotate the rear wheel until you can see the piston just below the spark plug hole
  • Peer in the timing mark hole and lightly fine tune the engine position until the timing mark is right in the middle of the hole
  • Now adjust your static timing as the instructions say
  • Lock it down and button it up
Should be ready to go.

TQ

What year and make is the engine, and what does the instructions say to adj to?
Is it the dyna s that uses the mechanical weights or the electronic box?

I think on your '97 EVO, the two (2) "dots" are the 20* advance mark. Your instructions for static timing call for this in the timing hole. My electronic ignition module static timing called for TDC (vertical line). So just modify the steps I indicated above looking for the advance timing marks rather than TDC.

TQ

Attachments

• Timing marks.pdf
    166.2 KB · Views: 238
Congratulations you have the best and most trouble free ign set up on the market, (in my opinion) I have ran that same setup since 1994 and once you set it, it's bullet proof, I used the Rivera stainless steel weights, if you did not you have to check every couple of years for any rust. But be aware you have no rev limit so make sure you have a kill switch on your handlebar, just in case.
The instructions you have are the same as mine, and I would recommend setting the timing with a light after you have it static timed and running, but not 100% necessary. It's just like the directions say, when your starting your front cylinder compression stroke, rotation of rear wheel in direction of normal travel (foward) look for the two dots to center in the timing hole, the go to the dyns s and hold the weights open and rotate the timing plate untill the light lights up then tighten hold down screws and recheck, you should be good to go.
Also make sure you use the special HD rivets (HD-8699) to secure the outer timing cover, they keep any rivet ends from falling into the timing compartment, it's not just a HD sales ploy
Good luck & let us know how she roars.

I understand this thread is more than 10 years old. But, if you are still with it on-line please answer this: re: describing how to time the Evo without a timing light, in your instructions you say, "Peer in the timing mark hole and lightly fine tune the engine position until the timing mark is right in the middle of the hole." What does it mean to " lightly fine tune the engine position." The bike is not running so how do I lightly fine tune the engine position? Thanks.................Ron

Back