free website stats program Evo Rear Brake Pads | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo Rear Brake Pads

fin_676

Experienced Member
Staff member
Contributor
This is my way of replacing the rear brake pads on my Evo bikes

Push in hard on the outside of the caliper this should push the piston in a wee bit and give sufficient free play to remove the caliper

Using the relevant sized torx bit undo and remove the two brake pins

The caliper should now lift off of the bracket leaving the pads in place this is provided that you did get the piston pushed in

secure the caliper and remove the retainer (spring thing) the pads can now be slipped out of position (however a wee bit of force may be required) the inserts can be lifted away once the pads are out

Some brake cleaner and an old toothbrush can be used to clean the caliper piston and seals

Push the piston fully in this can often be a wee bit stiff i use a large c clamp to assist me

Now that the caliper is clean and ready lay out and inspect the new parts that you will be fitting Harley pads come with new inserts but aftermarket pads may need the old inserts cleaned and prepared for use

Harley pads have anti squeal shims fitted to the back of the pads but i also like to coat the back of the pads with copper grease to help prevent brake squeal

Fit the inserts and pads back in place this can be a wee bit fiddly as the inserts want to fall to the ground and the pads seem to be too big to fit the space however they will fit just needs a wee bit of patience

Refit the retainer again this can be a wee bit fiddly but it will fit

Slide the caliper over the pads till it is correctly seated

Refit the pins and torque to the correct specification

Now would be a good time to bleed the brakes however if you choose not to ensure you pump the brakes a few times to push the piston out and seat the caliper correctly on the pads

Brian

Awesome!
WAP.gif

Back