free website stats program Evo gear change issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo gear change issues

SE6A

Hi all, my 1999 with approx 50k miles has recently developed a gear change problem.
From 2nd to third it will change but the gear shift remains in an up position and doesn't return to the normal position.
I have to slow, change down then try again.
This isn't all the time, so frustrating as you can imagine.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Many thanks ian

I assume the shifter-shaft spring is worn out. This one should bring the shifter back in position, after shifting. Thing to check ,if you take off the cover on the gearbox , you should be able to see it. ( 59 ).
Shifterspring.jpg

Great,thanks for the information, I haven't needed to venture into the gearbox, until now!
I didn't research as yet, but that would entail the primary off, clutch etc.

It 's quit a lot of work ,Outer primary-case / primarychain / clutchbasket /inner primarycase have to be taken of.
I guess it's wise to replace the seal as well , since you're having all these parts of. maybe even take a look at your belt as well.
Normally it should last at least 70 to 80 ks , so I read somewhere , but now your at it ??.

Thanks, yes, had a burnt out stator a couple of years ago, so that side has been off.
Hear what you are saying about the belt too.
I may leave it a few weeks, will let you know the outcome.
Ian

Hi all, my 1999 with approx 50k miles has recently developed a gear change problem.
From 2nd to third it will change but the gear shift remains in an up position and doesn't return to the normal position.
I have to slow, change down then try again.
This isn't all the time, so frustrating as you can imagine.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Many thanks ian

Sounds like you possibly have a shift pawl out of adj. It's not hard to check and can be adjusted without removing primaries .I checked mine a couple years back and the pawl was ok ,but the arm that goes into the pawl was just a quarter turn loose. Tightened machine screw and it helped.If the pawl is out of adj the shift drum doesn't center itself ,I believe . Never overlook the small stuff first.
https://www.fixmyhog.com/video/shifter-pawl-adjustment-012748/#

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you possibly have a shift pawl out of adj. It's not hard to check and can be adjusted without removing primaries .I checked mine a couple years back and the pawl was ok ,but the arm that goes into the pawl was just a quarter turn loose. Tightened machine screw and it helped.If the pawl is out of adj the shift drum doesn't center itself ,I believe . Never overlook the small stuff first.
https://www.fixmyhog.com/video/shifter-pawl-adjustment-012748/#
Thanks for that, yes I have a feeling its something not actually broken as it will change both up and down through the gears sometimes too.
I will add to the thread when I get into the top of the gearbox.

Moving on a few months, the bike hasn't been ridden due to the present situation we all find ourselves in.
heading out for my yearly M.O.T yesterday and getting an aching left foot with trying to change up the gears, 2nd to 3rd being very difficult, with just having to ride in 2nd till the shifter dropped down. So now she is up on the lift and the fun begins! Im suspecting a broken spring and currently removing the oil tank first so I can at least remove the top cover from the gearbox.
if anyone else has had similar issues over the winter on an older Evo, appreciate your thought and suggestions, as the guys did on my initial post! Cheers ian

Back