free website stats program everything seems great, cranks but NO START | Harley Davidson Forums

everything seems great, cranks but NO START

ChopScott

2003 Road King Classic was running fine. Had someone stop over and let him take it for a spin. Stalled once and had to get it fired but easy no problem. Followed the guy back home 1/2 a mile he jumped on it once and going back and then in the garage turning it off. Next day tried to start it up and it would not. Replaced the battery and still will not start ever since that day. Everything works perfectly - Lights, hear the fuel pump kick on, signal, brakes, switches appear fine and I changed the gas to highest just in case and nothing. I checked spark by pulling a plug and starting while on the cyl. and no spark. Put a new coil in it and nothing. Cranks great and all is appearing to be fine but no fire/start? Had somebody come over to check the codes jumping with a female end and he said taking out the battery killed the memory and no codes showed up. I am completely lost on this one. What to do What to check??????????

2003 Road King Classic was running fine. Had someone stop over and let him take it for a spin. Stalled once and had to get it fired but easy no problem. Followed the guy back home 1/2 a mile he jumped on it once and going back and then in the garage turning it off. Next day tried to start it up and it would not. Replaced the battery and still will not start ever since that day. Everything works perfectly - Lights, hear the fuel pump kick on, signal, brakes, switches appear fine and I changed the gas to highest just in case and nothing. I checked spark by pulling a plug and starting while on the cyl. and no spark. Put a new coil in it and nothing. Cranks great and all is appearing to be fine but no fire/start? Had somebody come over to check the codes jumping with a female end and he said taking out the battery killed the memory and no codes showed up. I am completely lost on this one. What to do What to check??????????

00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Page 6 - Harley Davidson Community try this first:s

he said taking out the battery killed the memory and no codes showed up.

As far as I know, that is not true. The codes (if any) should remain.

Assuming the ignition is stock and was not modded, I would check the crank sensor. That is where it all begins. Disconnect it from the harness. AC voltmeter attached & spin the engine. Would be nice to see a couple of volts. Of course check all fuses.

Welcome to the forum ChopScott. this is a shot in the dark but might be worth a try.
If you have a no start condition on your motorcycle with Delphi fuel injection.
The problem occurs one time and does not return, so is difficult to diagnose. When
the condition occurs, a P1010 code - missing password, is normally set. There have
been a few reports of a P1009 code - incorrect password also. It appears the turn signal
module did not get a complete message from the ecm at ignition ON so the engine starts
and stalls or cranks but will not start. Try removing the ecm and security fuses,
wait ten minutes and reinstall the fuses. This "reboots" the turn signal module
and the motorcycle will then start from that point on. The historic codes will
remain for 50 starts or until cleared.

Welcome Chopscott to the HDTimeline Forum and your first post. Do you have Security alarm/immobilizer? If you Choppers' advice as always is likely much better than a "shot in the dark".

The bike sounds like the security alarm system is in place...the ignition "immobilized". I have the old system that flashes the lights and tells me it is activated...don't know if the new system does the same...or if the "key" icon lights on your speedometer.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/diagnostics_and_fuel_injection_related/728-04_07_hd_dtc_codes_and_activation.html

Last edited:
I did look at this when it didn't start the first time in the beginning. I am going to engage it again and turn it off just to see if something might happen? I have the KEY icon blinking when it is enaged. I'll do/try anything at this point. Thanks

Did you follow the link in entry point #2 of this thread. Follow the instructions and see if there are any stored codes. They do not erase when power is pulled.

Back