free website stats program Euro HOG Rally 2010, Lugano, Switzerland | Harley Davidson Forums

Euro HOG Rally 2010, Lugano, Switzerland

Dr Loguey

Hi all,

hoping to head to the 2010 European HOG rally in July. Will be travelling from N Ireland through France so was wondering if anyone can reassure me about the likely driving conditions in Switzerland this time of year. I assume the organisers have considered this but every picture I see of Switzerland seems to have snow-capped mountains and frosty roads..!

Please tell me it is likely to be sunny, warm and dry!?

Also are there any particular routes to avoid as we'll be on a pretty tight schedule to get there although will have 3 days to explore at leisure once settled in.

Many thanks,
Loguey

Frosty roads? In July???
No, those images are for postcards... :p
Don't worry: if it's a sunny day it's hot!
Well, if it's not sunny.... temperature can decrease dramatically, not at frost level, though!
Just take some warmer gear with you and you're fine.
Since you live in Ireland, I assume you're used to rain...:s
Snow can happen, honestly: it's a mountainous place.
But only if you take the roads going up to the mountains: if you stay in the valley you're safe!
Since you're in Lugano, find a moment to pass the border to Italy or go to gamble at the Casinò of Campione d'Italia, an Italian enclave in Swiss territory.

You'll be amazed: Switzerland is EXACTLY like in the postcards, with cows, grass, nice houses and blond girls with braids!
:D

I've been there couple of times and it's a beautiful place: don't miss this opportunity.

Ciao
Ugo

An hours ride for me. :)

I'll be there, look for the Canadian flag on my back.

I went for a ride around St. Moritz, last June 21st; first day of summer.

Roads dry.. however, snowbanks 12 feet high around me, 8 degrees C in the passes.
Bring your cold weather gear.

Aw no Martin, now you've got me a bit worried with this snow and cold weather gear thing...

So, stupid question as this probably is, if we're travelling in from France are we likely to be high enough up for snow or will be be low down and sunny? We've had enough snow in Ireland this winter to last me all this year and next so was really hoping for a dry, warm trip!

Hi Cromwell, very preliminarily looking ferry to England, Eurotunnel to Calais and then 2 nights in France before hitting Lugano on Friday afternoon / evening. What about you?

Warning: the City of Lugano has authorized the event for "only" 3.000 bikes.
Since new forecasts foresee a number of around 10.000 bikes, the City is reconsidering if to host the event.

They have planned a meeting with the Organization of the event, but warned that in no way the number of bikes will be more than 3.000 on the territory of the City of Lugano.
If the Organization thinks to host more bikes, the City recommends to contact the near cities and the airport of Lugano and will provide the necessary support for this.

The HOG Rally website denies any cancellation by the City Authorities, but I read the Swiss news, in Italian, of Canton Ticino and there's a struggle for the event (you know: Swiss citizens are used to peaceful landscapes and grazing cows... :s).

If something new arises, I'll keep you posted.

Ciao
Ugo

Hi Ugo,

thanks for that update - I had read the note on the organisers' website but was hoping it was just based on a rumour. That's very worrying for us as we have already booked our hotel in the town centre and wouldn't consider parking our bikes miles away and getting transport in to the event and our hotel!

I was already slightly worried as the local tourist information centre didn't know about the event months after the location was announced!!

I'd very much appreciate it if you would keep me posted as its a long way to travel to be turned away... :swoon

Many thanks,
Loguey

Hi all,

this isn't a great update but its potentially good news...

Apparently Eurohog & Lugano Council had a big meeting yesterday and whilst I can't find any news on how that went the banner has now been removed from the Eurohog website...

Wouldn't it be good if someone within Eurohog was competent enough to replace it with some information so we all know where we stand??!!!

Getting slightly frustrated...
Dr Loguey

lol, Loguey, you expect too much from the organizers !

I imagine the meeting went well enough, my HOG chapter president
wasnt concerned when we met last week, just said some things about the Swiss. :)

Re the trip, please remember I did that trip middle June, and you will come in July.
Big difference.
Some other guys made a trip into the same area in August, they were complaining
about 34 degrees C in the valleys, and 25 in the passes,so I wouldnt worry too much.

But bring a good jacket, good gloves, and maybe some chaps for ur legs just in case.
And enjoy, the Swiss roads are really good. :)

Hi all,

Two updates:

1. From HOGEurope twitter page 4th Feb, "HOGEurope Swiss Harley Days & European H.O.G. Rally GOES AHEAD AS PLANNED. The Town Hall has met to discuss and the rumours have been dispelled."

2. From Lugano Tourism press release (translated through Babelfish so apologies for quality!), "Thursday 4th February 2010 have kept near the Civic Palace of Lugano a reunion between the representatives of the Municipalities of Lugano and Campione d' Italy, Lugano Tourism, the tourist Company of Champion of Italy, the representatives of the Police of the two Municipalities and the organizers of the Swiss Harley Days of which Rally will make part also European HOG (Harley Owner's Group). The scope of the encounter has been that one definitively to clear the logistic necessities of the organizers in connection with the number of motorcyclists and above all to the spaces that Lugano and Campione d' Italy are in a position to putting on hand. The organizers have confirmed that to such encounter they participate between the 3,500 and 5,000 motorcyclists who, thanks to a remarkable spin of the presences, could catch up the 10,000 - 15,000 units shared on three days. Also for how much it concerns the parade on Saturday 17th July the organizers has guaranteed the maximum number of ca. 1,600/2,000 motion. Al term of the encounter all the present ones have convene that seen the foundations and the details introduced from the organizers the region that gravity around Lugano will benefit of 3 intense and rich days of events of which they are sure will benefit the inhabitants of the region and the present tourists to Lugano. Lugano, 4 February 2010"

So it does look like it IS going ahead then:D:D

Great relief, happy days and back to planning our route!!!:):D

Back