free website stats program Enlighten Us Grasshopper | Harley Davidson Forums

Enlighten Us Grasshopper

Dr.Evil

I want to hear about little things that can improve our lives in some way or another. Call them tips, tricks, wives tales, home remedies etc…..

Ill start it off….

Recently I was told that Inuit tribes do not put extremely sharp knives in hot water, because the heat can cause the very end edge to curl and distort at a microscopic level. I suppose when you use knives to survive on a daily basis every bit of sharp counts.

Recently I was told that Inuit tribes do not put extremely sharp knives in hot water, because the heat can cause the very end edge to curl.

That's an old wive's tale. I'm a professional knife sharpener, and we put 8 degree bevels on nakiri Japanese knives (most knives are from 15 to about 25 degrees). Restaurant kitchens use scalding water on any tool, including these knives, which most of us would handle with kid gloves due to their expense.

The use of Japanese laminate blade blanks has now found its way to folding knives. Tens of thousands of people use them. None of them melt.

Edit: BTW, Inuit tribes do use a dull knife called an "ulu." It's for scraping hide.

ulu's make great pizza cutters

Yes, they do. There's even an Asian variety of the knife that's used for vegetables.

BTW, (and not to hijack) the urban legends surrounding knives and swords is about as bad as all of those 175 MPH Sportsters drunken townies tell us about.

"My niece's step-son had a specialty Sportster built once, secret parts right off the movie lot where they made 'Easy Rider'..."

This is just me doing so -- but --- before working on a scoot , cage or a lawnmower I rub what is called " Goop" on my hands before tackling the job and it seems to help get the grease and what not off easier.

Life is short, enjoy every minute because you never know when it could be your last. Live for today,,,,,,,,, forget about yesterday,, its gone and theres nothing you can do about it. Kiss your wife, hug your children, tell-em you love them. Trust me I know, those of us who have health problems have already figured this one out. God Bless all of you good friends here that I enjoy so much... TIm:D

This is just me doing so -- but --- before working on a scoot , cage or a lawnmower I rub what is called " Goop" on my hands before tackling the job and it seems to help get the grease and what not off easier.

I keep a tub of barrier cream at the entrance to the shed and if i have planned some messy work i always use it
however sometimes i go to do a clean job and it ends up messy then i spend time with the scrubbing brush getting clean
Barrier cream does also protect you from harmful chemicals that may be in some of the lubes and cleaners we use

Brian

Back