free website stats program Engine Whine | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Whine

My 2007 Low Rider (35,000 miles) has a noticeable whine, but only after a long run. When it's cooler it's pretty quiet.
Read some posts on this and saw the pics to inspect and repair the cam tensioners. So I opened the case today to check the cam chain tensioner. Couldn't see the inner tensioner, but the outer tensioner showed VERY minor wear.
My first question is: do these tensioners wear at a similar rate?
Second: Being this is my first Harley, could this whine be normal?
Thanks

My 2007 Low Rider (35,000 miles) has a noticeable whine, but only after a long run. When it's cooler it's pretty quiet.
Read some posts on this and saw the pics to inspect and repair the cam tensioners. So I opened the case today to check the cam chain tensioner. Couldn't see the inner tensioner, but the outer tensioner showed VERY minor wear.
My first question is: do these tensioners wear at a similar rate?
Second: Being this is my first Harley, could this whine be normal?
Thanks

If I could hear the WHINE I could tell you more.

As far as WEAR on these NEW designed cam tensioner's NILL....

The outer one will show wear first... Why ??? I don't know but on Many newer bikes the outer shows such little wear I doubt if replacing it would be necessary for the life of the motor.:small3d031:

The New style Cam tensioner showed NO WEAR in 25,000 miles on my bike when I checked last, and Just like yours Very Minimal wear on the outer one and NO wear on the inner one...

The older bikes ( 06 and before) had a totally different system and called them Shoes.. A Ceramic type with high spring loaded pushing them against the chain and IMO, a PROBLEM waiting to happen.

I have owned the earlier TC with these types of SHOE tensioner and Got rid of them BEFORE I had a lot of problems from them. Gear drives solved the problem back then and still is today.

HD offers a Kit to change out the old types for the new Types.New cam-plate and High volume oil pump along with the new style tensioner that Replaces the SHOE style.

The new ones are Totally different and Rest Your Thoughts,,, They are GOOD and Need Not be checked like the Old Style did.

When you hear "have you checked your shoes?" Forget about it as it DOESN'T apply to Us, No shoes here,,, just a good tensioner with NO Problems:D

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE,
Thanks for the reply. I feel a lot better about the cam tensioners now.

Where I live we aren't allowed to do any vehicle maintenance so I had to do a quickie Inspection before I got caught again:). My Indie mechanic said they last about 40k and that's why I felt the need to look at them.

I can't describe the whine other than it just shows up after a long run. It has been or near the 100's here and there is no other problems. I bought the bike last year with 25k on it and have had no problems with it besides this. I run Amsoil all around.

I guess the next step is to open the primary and look there. Another 5am maintenance session!!!!

BUBBIE,
Thanks for the reply. I feel a lot better about the cam tensioners now.

Where I live we aren't allowed to do any vehicle maintenance so I had to do a quickie Inspection before I got caught again:). My Indie mechanic said they last about 40k and that's why I felt the need to look at them.

I can't describe the whine other than it just shows up after a long run. It has been or near the 100's here and there is no other problems. I bought the bike last year with 25k on it and have had no problems with it besides this. I run Amsoil all around.

I guess the next step is to open the primary and look there. Another 5am maintenance session!!!!

Where is it you live they (who is they) don't allow you to do maintenance?

The primary chain is on a self tightening device that some times tightens Too Much... If Me sneaking a Peak, ,I would just try to get the arm on bottom of the adjuster to slip loose one or two Clicks,,,It will tighten up on its own next start up..

Looking at the picture in the book, It would be nice IF a bent piece of round stock metal hook could be fashioned to move the adjuster "Back" without taking off the outer primary. Going thru the derby cover.

IF you are careful on removal of the Outer primary cover, I have Re-used the gasket several times EVEN though Most would put on a new one.

Let us know a few details here...

Too tight will Whine.

signed....BUBBIE

Hey BUBBIE,
Took the primary cover off and the chain was soooo tight I had to remove the entire tensioner to release it. I set it at it's lowest setting and reinstalled it. Put things back together and it made a clicking noise for about 1/10 mile and settled right down. NO WHINE! Did a kamikaze run down the interstate and all is well.
I remember reading somewhere you could adjust the chain tighter by accelerating real hard up to 30, then slam on the rear brake and hold it to the engine almost stalls. Well a couple of weeks ago I had to make a real hard stop and I'm thinking that's what tightened the chain up so much cause if my memory serves me right (which it has been known NOT to do at my age:)), that's when the whine started.
So THANKS for your input and we are riding high again!
Joe

Hey BUBBIE,
Took the primary cover off and the chain was soooo tight I had to remove the entire tensioner to release it. I set it at it's lowest setting and reinstalled it. Put things back together and it made a clicking noise for about 1/10 mile and settled right down. NO WHINE! Did a kamikaze run down the interstate and all is well.
I remember reading somewhere you could adjust the chain tighter by accelerating real hard up to 30, then slam on the rear brake and hold it to the engine almost stalls. Well a couple of weeks ago I had to make a real hard stop and I'm thinking that's what tightened the chain up so much cause if my memory serves me right (which it has been known NOT to do at my age:)), that's when the whine started.
So THANKS for your input and we are riding high again!
Joe

Joe,

That IS exactly what I was going to ASK you.

IF you did.......

Now most Know the answer to a WHINE....

IF you have to stop quick, squeeze the clutch in IF you have enough time to think about it

And IF you are trying to tighten up a LITTLE on the primary chain,,,,, Remember

A Little stopping power,,, in 3 gear,,, with motor pulling:small3d031: goes a Long Way...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back