free website stats program Engine whine | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine whine

gratefulEd

I had the dealer do an oil and filter change, and when they start it back up, there's a whine coming from the engine. Eventually it goes away, and the mechanic says he doesn't know what it was, but it stopped. My concern is what was it, did it do any damage, and will it come back. Any ideas would be appreciated. And i got my manual from zanotti, i'll be doing my own oil in the future.

This is a loaded Question did they do any other fluids like the primary? Have you ever noticed this whine before? My bike whistles when I shut it down, with a free flowing air filter I have had this before I attribute it to the valves in overlap JMO

I don't know how long the whine went on for, but some people don't put any oil in the new filter before install. I have always thought that if you don't do this there is a time where the new oil is filling up the filter and the oil does not get to the parts that need it untill the filter is full. JMHO-Don

they just did the engine oil and filter. it seemed like a long time, but it was probably a minute at most. Never heard the sound before, and it hasn't made it since. thanks.

Was there any other noises along with this noise like lifters tapping? No oil pressure gauge by any chance?

no other noises, at least that i could here from the waiting area, and no oil pressure gauge. thanks.

This MIGHT be a good time to start saving $$$ and servicing your own bike.. Then you can add oil to the filter ONCE to the threads and wait for a minute THEN screw it on... Less time for the oil to flow and pressure built up.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back