free website stats program Engine Timing | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Timing

traveller

I have a 88ci. 03 Flsts. while I was riding down the Interstate about 75mph my motor just shut down and while coasting to the side it sounded like it would pop a little. tried to crank it up and it would backfire through the exhaust. I've changed the crank sensor, ignition module,coil, I haven't changed the map sensor. do you think that influence the timing that much. I also haven't changed the plug wires ever. bike has 130,000 on it. any input would greatly appreciated. thanks,

I dont think that if the map sensor went bad that it would kill the bike. It may run like a dog but not kill it. I'm thinking a compression check may be in order. I assume the cam tensioners were/are upgraded.....Keep us posted.

Is it carb. or injected? Could be a fuel delivery problem. I doubt the original plug wires would just quit that sudden, but @ 130,000 miles, the carbon core wires should be pretty marginal.

I've just installed a 97 in. kit with new pistons and rings, had the heads ported at big boys head porting, gear drive cams. when I had the cylinders off checked for play in the rods and they were like new. I'm going to replace the sensor and the wires and hope for the best.

I've just installed a 97 in. kit with new pistons and rings, had the heads ported at big boys head porting, gear drive cams. when I had the cylinders off checked for play in the rods and they were like new. I'm going to replace the sensor and the wires and hope for the best.

How many miles on the motor since the rebuild? Adjustable pushrods? If yes, a pushrod adjustor nut may have come loose.:bigsmiley21: Not a timing issue.:s

after some more testing the culprit turned out to be the coil. the one I replaced was bad also. so now I'm a happy rider. thanks for all the input from you guys. ride safe.

Back