free website stats program engine stops | Harley Davidson Forums

engine stops

Hello staff, having changed the spark plugs, the battery cables and all the fuses, the problem of my Sportster 883 to stop the engine when the warm, still, in conversation with a friend who is also in love with Harleys, he told me sportster883 that the model of 2000 came with problems of origin in the ignition module. My question to you is as follows - Do you notice this problem in the Sportster 2000.

Thank you all for your help.

Greetings to you in Portugal. Given you are running a 2000 model year sportty, you ar carburated.
When you changed the plugs were the fouled or any unusual coloration?

Hello, yes it is carburated, when I removed the spark plugs, it was dark, but the problem of engine failure when this hot start by starting to run some 10 km after the engine starts to fail in high rotation until completely off the ignition.

.And some of the big problems is that here in Portugal parts for sportster are extremely expensive, such as the ignition module costs more than 300 € and there in the U.S. costs less than $ 150.

Last edited by a moderator:
.And some of the big problems is that here in Portugal parts for sportster are extremely expensive, such as the ignition module costs more than 300 € and there in the U.S. costs less than $ 150.

Try looking at the ignition wires with an ohm meter, and internal contacts for corrosion. Do you have a service manual? I think there are translated versions in the Maintenance section in PDF format...:28:

:good
Please stop by the "self help section" for maintenance tips, diagnostic codes and much more.
>>Self Help Information and Tips<< click me!

Last edited:
Hello staff, having changed the spark plugs, the battery cables and all the fuses, the problem of my Sportster 883 to stop the engine when the warm, still, in conversation with a friend who is also in love with Harleys, he told me sportster883 that the model of 2000 came with problems of origin in the ignition module. My question to you is as follows - Do you notice this problem in the Sportster 2000.

Thank you all for your help.

hope I'm reading this right ---- your sporty dies after getting to running temp. while riding?? --- will it start back up or do you have to wait for it to cool down first ---- ???

Thank you Glide, had not thought of that case inteak leaks, and now that I read your article about this case I give value, because when an increase in engine rotation, it appears that the mixture of air / petrol is poor, such as coughing and starts raters and the engine to stop, because when you are low rotation does not happen. Tomorrow I will try it out with the WD 40.

R.Lewis it is odd that this happens when the engine is hot, then I join the ignition module.

Just keep in mind about the expansion of parts when they get hot. As far as the ignition module, a shot of freon will cool it off in a hurry to trouble shoot this problem. Even a can of the computer keyboard cleaner used upside down will work.

Back