free website stats program Engine stops but will start right back | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine stops but will start right back

I have a 74 Shovel with Elec Ign (Fireball HI-4) and elec start
Had it for about 3 yrs no problems.
Made no adjustments.
Recently the engine just stops. Pull over cranks back up and on my way.
Replace plugs checked wires all look ok.
Any ideas?

I have a 74 Shovel with Elec Ign (Fireball HI-4) and elec start
Had it for about 3 yrs no problems.
Made no adjustments.
Recently the engine just stops. Pull over cranks back up and on my way.
Replace plugs checked wires all look ok.
Any ideas?

Do you have two gas caps ? When you stopped did you remove one and look in the tank? Vent could be bad on the cap.

When the engine just starts to sputter, can you reach down quick enough to go to reserve? Maybe obstruction in the fuel tank or upper pickup tube, just to be sure it is fueling?

No sputtering just stops. Last time I was thrttle off and did not even know it stopped till I went to throttle.

Also I have had 2 caps from the get go and they are not interchangable
rt only fits rt and lft only lft

I have 2 caps but they are not vented

One of them is vented. Does not look like it but it is. Right side as your sitting on the bike, take it off and shake it, you should hear something. If the vent is not working it will cause the bike to quit running. But would sputter first. Does not sound like your problem

I modified mine so I did not have to worry if it was working or not.

Loosen the right one next time it happens. One should be vented or the fuel will not flow.

A friend I work with bought a bike and the previous owner had sealed the tank(79 xlh sportster 1000 chopper it looked sweet) he said he was having problems with it sputtering and then just shutting off then he would open the tank to see if there was gas in it and it would be fine.

He figured out that the previous owner sealed the tank so much that it wasn't getting any air. ergo bike running fine after removing gas cap

just adding input to previous posts

How did you mod yours?

Check out the picture. You can see the small hole I drilled. Drilled one on the side not shown in the picture two. Only on the right side tanks cap. The problem drove me nuts for a while.

Attachments

• webgascap.jpg
    webgascap.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 19
Back