free website stats program engine starts, turnoff, wait 20 min, then you can restart | Harley Davidson Forums

engine starts, turnoff, wait 20 min, then you can restart

Hey Forum members, lets see if i can bother you for a minute.
quick background, 2013 Ultra, stock 103, just added high flow breather, S & S 551CE camchest kit complete, new headpipes, FP3 tuner, no issues at all on tear down or reassembly. if you need specific specs on build, i will be glad to provide. finished project, oil pressure achieved w/o plugs in, installed plugs, fired up and ran great. reached operating temp at about 230. shut the bike off to check for any leaks etc. 3 minutes tried to start, no start, turn over no start. inline spark detector indicated no spark.... after approx 15 min of looking for the obvious, and finding nothing, i tried again and it fired right up first hit. after a couple of minutes, shut it off and same issue, no start for about 20 minutes. once it starts back, i can let it run for 20 seconds or 20 minutes. if i turn it off, i still have to wait to try to restart.
UPDATE i have replaced the coil and the crakshaft position sensor with a known good and no change in behavior!
any ideas? i will be happy to answer any questions possible

thanks

Welcome aboard from Gulf Coast AL.
Sounds like you have covered most items, someone will hopefully chime in with help. Keep checking.

Welcome from Spokane Washington.
I would start with a few simple things, replace fob battery, disconnect positive and negative battery cables for cleaning and ground to frame, while the battery is disconnected, unplug the ECM to inspect each pin for corrosion.
Recheck all the harness connectors the were unplugged during the repairs you did.
Could be corrosion in the fuse box, pull each to see.
Sometimes just unplugging and plugging back in can clean the contact points.
A wire schematic will help trace back from the coils to help look for power loss, what can get hot and need to cool down to work, like a relay, switch or module.

Welcome to HDT from sunny AZ. Have you checked for any codes?
yes sir i have checked for codes and there are none, (save a turn signal code from replacing with led signals a few years ago)
i couldnt find anything wrong on visual inspection of the Crank Position Sensor nor did it set a 374 code, but i replaced it anyway with a known good. same thing with the Coil

Welcome from Spokane Washington.
I would start with a few simple things, replace fob battery, disconnect positive and negative battery cables for cleaning and ground to frame, while the battery is disconnected, unplug the ECM to inspect each pin for corrosion.
Recheck all the harness connectors the were unplugged during the repairs you did.
Could be corrosion in the fuse box, pull each to see.
Sometimes just unplugging and plugging back in can clean the contact points.
A wire schematic will help trace back from the coils to help look for power loss, what can get hot and need to cool down to work, like a relay, switch or module.
thank you, it is my second job and soon as i get in tonight i will start pulling fuses. obviously the battery has been in and out in trying a known good coil. it is just so frustration. it runs perfectly no matter how long you let it run 3 seconds or 10 minutes. soon as you turn it off (it doesn't even die on its own) it will not start back until a period of time has passed.

Sounds like a heat related issue. You need to do your testing right after you turn it off and it won't start.

Sounds like a heat related issue. You need to do your testing right after you turn it off and it won't start.
i can see the reasoning behind that BUT, lets say it starts, i run the bike for maybe 30 seconds, turn it off, then try to start back, it will not start. after 15-20 minutes passes, it will start and run again. even off all might, start for 30 seconds, then no start. i cant imagine it would get hot that quick

i can see the reasoning behind that BUT, lets say it starts, i run the bike for maybe 30 seconds, turn it off, then try to start back, it will not start. after 15-20 minutes passes, it will start and run again. even off all might, start for 30 seconds, then no start. i cant imagine it would get hot that quick
May be possible if it's bad enough to immediately heat up when you start it. Just spit balling here....

Just curious, did you ground the plugs to the motor when you cranked it to get oil pressure? Or leave them hanging?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuel issue?
Recheck all the connections you made with the FP3.
Recheck all the settings you put into it.

Back