free website stats program Engine Sprocket Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Sprocket Question

On my 2009 FLHX I believe the stock engine sprocket is 34 teeth and I have been told that anything you find on the market to reduce the engine sprocket size to 30T converts the compensator to a solid mount sprocket!

If this is correct what could this mean as I have freinds who lowered the final drive by the engine sprocket and have not had any issues..

Thanks

That is one of the reasons older Sportsters vibrated so much, they had no comp sprocket

When I spoke to Evolution Industries who is 1 company that I know who makes them said guys with the softails were taking them off because of the vibrations but they worked OK on the touring bikes with the IDS.

When I spoke to Evolution Industries who is 1 company that I know who makes them said guys with the softails were taking them off because of the vibrations but they worked OK on the touring bikes with the IDS.

I would NOT go Direct sprocket off engine, even with MY 09 having rubber rear cushion...
The crank issues is for #1 and the Vibration is #2.
The ISSUES might NOT show up for a long while but they WILL..

That motor NEEDS a SOFT go-between,,, Hence the Compensator that Helps from Jar breaking movement on tranny clutch and the Crank. AND the BiggE LUGGING the Bike.

If HD could get a NO-COMP to work well, they would have been on the bike Now and saving that much money per bike tells me that direct drive gear ISN'T something they will do again...

Read or ask a little about how geezer is doing with his modification and his goals.. 6 gear at 60MPH without Lugging..

He has a gear being Made that will replace the stock sized one,,,More teeth on his clutch basket and that means LOWER gear ratio change without Loosing the compensator.. Much Better Way In OUR opinions.. Aye?

signed....BUBBIE

[/B]

More teeth on his clutch basket and that means LOWER gear ratio change

Unless your making it yourself, it won't be cheap to make a custom gear and have it properly heat treated. (Isn't that gear part of the clutch drum itself?) Looks like a monster project just to change the ratio.

What is the advantage of doing it that way instead of just using a larger off the shelf rear wheel sprocket and longer belt?

I went to the dealer to discuss gear reduction. The dealer recommended the crank sprocket vs. belt pulley as they claim many have did this gear mod and been happy with the results?!

Talking to a mechanic he also felt this was OK since the motor was only 96 with small cams and the 09 has the rear rubber belt compensator.

You would think the dealer would advise new-bee's of the pros and cons before recommending..

What you all have said makes sense to me but maybe if you drive the bike right without jumping on it all the time it will last without issues.

Unless your making it yourself, it won't be cheap to make a custom gear and have it properly heat treated. (Isn't that gear part of the clutch drum itself?) Looks like a monster project just to change the ratio.

What is the advantage of doing it that way instead of just using a larger off the shelf rear wheel sprocket and longer belt?
I'm going this way because it is cheaper and easier than the belt and pulley option. Yes the sprocket is part of the clutch assembly but it's only held on with 6 rivets so not hard to remove. Just a matter of taking the primary cover off and it's all right in front of me. If I was to change the other way I might have to change both the tranny and rear pulley to get the gearing I want which means I end up taking the inner primary, starter, swing arm and rear wheel off so I can change belt lengths. That's too much work for me. The speedo calibration doesn't change when staying in the primary. I might lose the 6th gear light but that's not a major issue with me. Time will tell how well it's going to work.

Time will tell how well it's going to work.

Sounds like an interesting project. The mph range of each gear will be narrowed (more shifting) but you should feel a big increase in applied torque when you get finished. I don't know how may teeth your adding to the basket gear but even a few will yield some added torque. And that's always Fun!:)

I'm adding 7 teeth to the sprocket. I was going to go with 6 but I don't want an offset link in the chain. I had to settle somewhat to get an even number of links in the chain.

Back