free website stats program Engine runs rough | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine runs rough

CamaroZ28

Hi!

I'm new here. I have a 1997 Electra Glide Classic HD motorcycle with just over 47,000 miles on it. May 25th it started acting up. When I'd roll the throttle on during highway speeds, it would break up and start bogging down. The check engine light would come on at times. I went into one HD shop late in the day 100+ miles from home and they thought it was the intake manifold gaskets. I took it to another HD dealer by my home and they replaced the gaskets but the problem did not go away. So, I took it back. The second time they couldn't find anything and basically told me that since the bike was 16 years old that they didn't want to work on it. Then, I took it to my usual HD dealer and they told me about the 10 year old rule as well but agreed to look at it. They replaced the two hoses that got to and from the fuel pump because they were cracked. I got 3 miles from the dealer and it acted up again. This time I took it to an independent shop. They re-replaced the intake manifold gaskets because they claim that the HD dealer didn't clean off the old RTV and they were still leaking air. I drove it 50 miles and it started acting up again.. So, I took it back and they then thought it might be the throttle sensor so they replaced it with a temporary one that they had at the shop. This did not work either. I took it back tonight and they were thinking that it might be the computer. I think it might be the fuel pump. I'm looking/hoping for suggestions that might lead me to a fruitful conclusion. Any help out there????? Sorry for being long-winded!

CamaroZ28

Thanx Wrenchin but that was checked already too. I just reviewed it with the mechanic about 4 hours ago. Any other suggestions.....?

Check inside the tank with a flashlight and see if there is any material flaking. The tank liner could be coming apart.

Steve and "whathisname" will look after you for sure... have you tried running a can of seafoam though the fuel tank? like Steve mentioned check for floaters in the tank.....

friend of mine had a big problem with floaters that were never thought of and had been there for years by the looks of them

Why has not any one check the basics like plugs and wires or coil breaking down. What about a fuel pressure test??? What are the stored fault codes??

When I'd roll the throttle on during highway speeds, it would break up and start bogging down. The check engine light would come on at times.

I agree with dbmg. Roll-on throttle will demand more fuel & spark energy. I would be checking for codes, fuel pressure and available spark energy. Did anyone check fuel pressure?

I requested the fuel pump to be tested when I took it back to the mechanic yesterday. The plugs were replaced and the plug wires checked last week. The codes seem to be inconclusive (I don't know if it's because of the age of the bike or what). I have never heard about the foam and I don't think any of the shops have tried that. The tank was replaced after a minor accident in 2005. I have never noticed anything floating when I'd fill up but I will have it checked. Thanx for all your help!

Has any one thought to look at the wires and pick up assembly in the cone, this is an Evo with MM injection?

I requested the fuel pump to be tested when I took it back to the mechanic yesterday. The codes seem to be inconclusive (I don't know if it's because of the age of the bike or what).

I assume your paying for the diagnostic time.. Don't accept "it was OK" for an answer of what your fuel pump pressure is. Get a number reading.

Inconclusive codes? It is rare when a code is conclusive. They usually just steer you in a direction. Get the code numbers if you can.

Back