free website stats program Engine oil got into primary case? | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine oil got into primary case?

brian98ultra

Well went on a nice 800 mile ride this week end and 50 miles from home I noticed oil presure was low and the oil light went on reved it up and oil presure came back but still around 10 lbs and I noticed letting out the cluch it was not throwing smoothly so I let it cool down a bit and took the drain plug out of the side of the primary chain and out came more oil than I had coffee cans for. any way I changed all 3 fluids last monday and checked the service manuel since I dont remember exactly how much goes in each all said and done I noticed I had high oil presure or higher than what im used to seeing guadge went up to 40 lbs and would stay at 20 while riding how did the engine oil get in the primary or what did I do wrong? could I have gotten a oil filter for a twin cam at the dealer by mistake since mine is a 98 and they started in 99 I think. and how do I fix this looks like a big nut!! 1998 ultra 25k

Last edited by a moderator:
A bad left crankshaft seal can allow engine oil to be pushed into the primary.

Some of the later Evo cases developed cracks and as Pete said a bad crank seal will cause the oil to leak

ok got it left side crank case seal do you all think if I had the wrong oil filter installed and as I said in my last post the oil presure was higher than normal that it could have pushed through the seal?

ok got it left side crank case seal do you all think if I had the wrong oil filter installed and as I said in my last post the oil presure was higher than normal that it could have pushed through the seal?

Possible if the bypass stuck, but I have never seen it, more likely to blow the filter

My opinion is that a twin cam filter would not cause the leak. Excessive crankcase pressure might, like overfilled oil tank, or obstructed vent lines from the heads.

Back