free website stats program Engine noise???? | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine noise????

harleydukeboy

I have a 01 Electra Gluide. Thats has a scraping sound coming from the bottom of the engine. I've replaced the cam plate and oil pump, the old parts both showed wear. when I changed the oil there was little to no metallic in the oil. I've heard it mybe the comp bolt. Any ideas???

If you have a scraping sound, It may be best to pull the primary cover and have a look at the chain and tensioner as well as any wear marks that could be from a dragging chain.

I have a 01 Electra Gluide. Thats has a scraping sound coming from the bottom of the engine. I've replaced the cam plate and oil pump, the old parts both showed wear. when I changed the oil there was little to no metallic in the oil. I've heard it mybe the comp bolt. Any ideas???

As Glider suggested above, and please confirm that you replaced the cam chain tensioners (both) when your replaced the plate and oil pump. And did you happen to check the run-out on the pinion shaft while in the cam cover?

DO NOT USE AN IMPACT WRENCH ON THE COMPENSATOR NUT OR THE CLUTCH NUT (lefty).

While in the primary, if the compensator nut is loose, take off the compensator, clutch and chain, and pull the rotor to make sure there is no damage to the magnets and to the stator. If there are any signs of contact between the magnets and the stator, you might consider replacing them (rotor and stator). If contact has happened, and there are metal shavings in the stator coils, it is just a matter of time (IMHO). When resecuring the compensator and clutch, use red Loctite or equivalent on the thread of the nuts.

Eyeball the clutch basket to see how much meat is left on the friction rings.

The sound you are hearing is definitely toward the engine rather than the tranny? And does it occur all the time or only when rolling (clutch engaged)?

TQ

The clutch basket apperrs just fine. The noise seems to be coming from the left side of the motor. The sound is all the time. Can I start the motor with out the primary chain?

Back