free website stats program engine noise | Harley Davidson Forums

engine noise

markwink

I have a noise coming from my engine on my 2006 ultra classic and cant determine where it is coming from.I have used my stethoscope to try to locate it but havent yet. I can hear it while riding and it does not sound like a bad lifter but is a constant tap or light knock.I have checked my timing chain shoes and installed the baisley spring while i was there.This bike has only 4000 miles on it now i bought it with 3000 miles on it as a wrecked bike.The noise doesnt seem to be getting worse but it is very anoying.Any ideas if so thanks for the help
Mark

There's lots of places a noise can come from and without being there it's difficult to answer your question.

You have to try to pinpoint the area whether it's primary, engine or other areas to start with.

These air cooled engines are a bit noisey, that said are you running synthetic oil? this will make it a bit noisey, With stock exhaust and a wind shield you may hear a bit more motor noise:s

Mark; Noises that you hear underway on a FLH can be difficult to find as the fairing reflects noise. It may not be engine internals. My newly installed windshield bag gave a noise that sounded low left. My left muffler damper gave a high left forward sound. Keep touching things (within safe reach) when underway, you'll find it.

Once stuff is cool enough to touch, start man-handling bits and pieces looking for loose stuff. Check the heatshield worm clamps. If everything seems tight and nothing is rattling against stuff, then one of the longer shots (assuming your noise IS NOT a lifter) is a leaking exhaust gasket (probably the front). I chased a "bad lifter" for several months after my roller-chain conversion until I finally found this. Talk about frustration!!

TQ

Once stuff is cool enough to touch, start man-handling bits and pieces looking for loose stuff. Check the heatshield worm clamps. If everything seems tight and nothing is rattling against stuff, then one of the longer shots (assuming your noise IS NOT a lifter) is a leaking exhaust gasket (probably the front). I chased a "bad lifter" for several months after my roller-chain conversion until I finally found this. Talk about frustration!!

TQ

I was thinking exhaust leak too.

Bodeen

Last night I got a wooden dowell and started checking different areas on the engine for noise. Everywhere that i checked it had what i would call normal noise kind of like listing to an alternator on a car with a wood dowell. The loudest place that i found was below the front cylinder on the left side i then started to slide the dowell out to the primary and it was a little louder there.I do have hearing loss due to drag racing for years and it is very anoying especially trying to pinpoint noises.
Thanks
Mark

From what you describe, it may be a good idea to pull the primary cover and check the compensator over. A loose compensator will give you a noise like a rod knock.

check your bags for anything you've added or moved around. i once added a tire repair kit to the left bag and forgot about wrapping it in a towel. drove me nuts for a week or so. till i took the bags off to listen for the rattle.

Just a thought BEFORE you tear into the primary Totally....

Take off the derby cover and Look up Left , with a long screwdriver, push up and FEEL the chain... I take a flashlight and check to see IF the chain Moves MORE than 3/4 of an inch,, Checking between the motor and clutch.... 3/4 of an inch is Max cold in my book....... IF really loose it will make the noise.... HOPEFULLY that is what it is...

signed....BUBBIE

Back