free website stats program engine noise? | Harley Davidson Forums

engine noise?

marcus22

this might be a tough one to answer.

I was wondering how much engine noise is normal. I havent ridden any other harley to find out for myself. I have rush 2.0" slip on's on my 2003 ultra classic. the motor has a stage one and a fuel map put in by the dealer. I can hear the motor over the exhaust. I cant tell if it is a pinging or something else. I can hear it most at 30 mph. Is any other motor quiet or loud.

I know how hard this might be to answer but its worth a shot

thanks!

I have rush 2.0" slip on's on my 2003 ultra classic. the motor has a stage one and a fuel map put in by the dealer. I can hear the motor over the exhaust. I cant tell if it is a pinging or something else. I can hear it most at 30 mph. Is any other motor quiet or loud.

Not unusual to be able to hear the engine running even at highway speeds. No wind noise in your ears. But the PINGING comment troubles me. You should not have that. Are you using high-test gas (93 octane)? Are you making sure you are not shifting too low and lugging the engine? Get the engine up approaching at least 3k before shifting. Some guys will take it way above that. I like to shift mine around that though. But I kinda run mild. Also, I put in some new AP cams with more low end torque. Lugging is not good (anything under load below 2k).

TQ

I was told that if it sounds like a sewing machine you are fine. Lord knows mine sounds like Betsy Ross is going to town!

thanks for the replies! the sewing machine sounds about right. I will have to watch it and see if anything changes.

thanks a ton

The noise is no extra charge. I've had solid lifter, high comp, cage engines make less noise. :p

Thorns

Back