free website stats program Engine noise and cruise control malfunction | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine noise and cruise control malfunction

Doug E

I have a 2005 Road King with 22,000 miles.
A couple of issues surfaced this past weekend during a 700 mile ride. The first thing that happened is that a knocking noise started coming from the engine. It is quit loud at idle and gets quieter as the bike warms up. The second problem is that my cruise control stopped working. I had it set and when I tapped the Accel switch to speed up a couple of mph it stuck on and just kept accelerating. I shut it off and now I can not set it. Does anyone have any answers?

Need more specifics, is the knocking coming from the upper or lower portion of the engine? what type of oil are you running? did you check the oil level on your bike? What type of mods have you installed? Is this the first time you have heard the noise, if so, go back to what you last did to the bike, it could be related. Some aftermarket brake lights can make the cruise control malfunction. good luck.

The engine, air cleaner and pipes are stock. I am having a had time pinpointing what part of the engine the noise is comming from. I put the Harley SYN 3 oil in for the first time at the beginning of summer. The only thing that was done to the brake lights is that the rear turn signal lights were converted to brake lights with the harley module but I installed that when I purchased the bike new in 2005 and the cuise worked fine up until now.

The noise is when cold not hot? The manual recommends checking the oil pressure first. It could be a lifter pumping up. Otherwise, the different parts expand at different rates. Something is now out of tolerence in the engine. Perhaps the rocker arm has excessive end float? The noise would get quieter when the cylinder head expands. Generally the engine must be disassembled to find the problem. VegasRob

Is your primary chain in proper adjustment? I just thought it might be something to eliminate in the troubleshooting process.

Back