free website stats program Engine Noise - '97 FLHTC-I | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Noise - '97 FLHTC-I

This probably is not a new question, but I am new to Harleys and this forum.
My "new" Ultra (1997, but new to me) with 23,000 miles on it has a noise that has me concerned. My motorcycle background is BMW airheads and oilheads and I know those noises well :), but Harley noises are new to me.

At Idle I hear a distinct Tic,Tic,Tic,...
Then at 3,000RPM I hear a rattling type of noise - this can happen in any gear around 3,000RPM which happens to be 70mph in 5th gear.
I have read about "tappet" noises on this site. How do I determine if mine is that noise?
How concerned should I be? The Radio and Speakers are great - I guess I could just turn up the volume and dround out the engine noise :).

Thanks for contributing to this great site,
dean

You're going to have to localize the area where the noise is coming from like which side of the engine and what area. It could be a bad lifter or even a heat shield on the exhaust. The 97 evo engine did make some strange noises.

The tic at idle could be oil psi related, depending on mileage the passages could be restricted to the top side of the motor. Does the tick at 3k occur when you just maintaing speed and stop under a load? Ticking doesnt always mean trouble or too much lash, I would rather be a tad loose than a tad too tight. Like Glider said a little more info will help, he's a genius at everything Harley related. I appreciate all you do for us Glider, the self help section gives people that may not be PHD techs some direction they cant get anywhere else free of charge:bigsmiley12:

Ronnie

Thanks for that Ronnie but far from a genius. Just worked on a few bikes in my life.

Glad you found some useful info in the self help area.

Back