free website stats program engine moved forward in frame | Harley Davidson Forums

engine moved forward in frame

bluto27

So, i replaced the exaust system with patriot pipes and replaced the front motor mount that was shot. i noticed the front pipe heat shield was very close to the frame and thought maybe the fit was close being an after market item and i put a 1000 miles or so on and went to change the oil/filter and found my filter was up tight to my regulator. so, it appears my motor moved foward and i'm wondering how to pull it back....any ideas?

my bike is an 03 electra glide also the pipe shield knocked the taped on reflector off the frame. thanks, Steve

It would seem like you got a faulty mount or the wrong mount and the engine is rolled forward in the frame a bit.

I DON'T Know this;

Could the rubber motor mount be DIRECTIONAL? The bolting closer one end to the other...

Just a thought. IF they are off-set from length, it may have been installed toward the Rear position and that is why you are forward.

Le me know IF this is the fix... Motor mounts are not in my Vocabulary on HD's.

But alignment of my 2000 FXDS is.

signed....BUBBIE

I assume it was fine before you changed the mount so I'd concentrate on the mount and or how you installed it. Engines don't shift or move just for something to do.

If the motor and tranny are securely fastened together, The swing arm shaft is still in one piece, I guess the part of the tranny where the swing arm shaft goes through could have broken? That would allow the top of the motor to shift forward a bit......

Like Bubbie suggested, maybe you got the new mount in upside down. There is two styles, new and old.

Attachments

• bulletin.jpg
    bulletin.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 27
If the motor and tranny are securely fastened together, The swing arm shaft is still in one piece, I guess the part of the tranny where the swing arm shaft goes through could have broken? That would allow the top of the motor to shift forward a bit......

+1

The motor & tranny pivot on the swing arm shaft, so I don't see how the motor could move forward that far unless something was wrong back there.

Your drive belt would be very tight also I would think.

Maybe your swing arm shaft is cracked or even broke. How does the bike handle??

HD03FLHR007.gif
Here is your motor, front mount and stabilizers

+1

The motor & tranny pivot on the swing arm shaft, so I don't see how the motor could move forward that far unless something was wrong back there.

Your drive belt would be very tight also I would think.

Maybe your swing arm shaft is cracked or even broke. How does the bike handle??

If the tranny case were broke. The drive belt would be "self tensioning". It would seem the handling would be crazy.......

I would be pulling the chrome covers off the rear swing arm shaft and looking for shredded rubber from the bushings, might be the that the bushings have separated. the space behind he chrome covers should be relatively clean. Drive Belt tension wouldn't change as the swing arm is attached to the transmission with the swing arm shaft.

Back