free website stats program Engine making ticking noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine making ticking noise

Instsupt

I took my bike for a ride after being laid up for 3 months. After about 2 miles it started making ticking noise like a connecting rod or something came loose. Oil pressure was good and oil level was good. Went to put it on trailer and when I pull it up on ramp bike sounded normal again. I checked compensator and it was good. Noise has not come back. any thoughts on issue

If you couldn't tell where the noise is coming from it's real hard to make an educated guess. It could even be something external. If it went away I'd say it's not something to worry about. If it really has you worried dump the oil, primary and trans fluids and pour them through some cheese cloth to see if there is any foreign matter. Cut the oil filter apart and unwind the filter media to see if there is any metal pieces. There are also a couple of oil diagnostic services you can send your fluids to that will test them and give you the results.

The first thing that came to mind was a lifter issue due to not running it for a couple months. Sounded like it was coming from that area. Friend of mind told me the similar thing happened to him and it was compensator. Check compensator(good) I have a oil cooling type oil filter. I am going to do an oil change for the heck of it and inspect filter screen for particulates. Thanks for the input

After a 3 mo. lay up it could of been a sticky lifter or 1 of your EZ cams may of stuck in the open position.
I tend to agree with HDDon though.
tourbox

Thanks tourbox..I agree. When I eased bike up on trailer ramp noise went away. Wondering if raising front of bike on trailer ramp may of had an effect on oil flow or cam closure

Back