free website stats program Engine Life | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Life

traveller

this is a gear head question, really more of an educated guess. I have a 03 FLSTS with 107,000 miles on it, not hard miles but steady you might say and was wondering how many miles I can get before the counter balancer starts giving me trouble. I don't use any oil between changes. so I would appreciate any feed back.

Counter balancer problems are probably one of the least posted problems on Harley forums. The only ones I can remember were associated with engines that saw a lot of high rpm riding.
Congratulations on those miles of smiles on your bike.

I use harley 20-50 and change every 5000 miles. stage 1 with my own carb mods for best fuel mileage. crane 316 cams and heads milled to give me 10.25 comp. ratio. All my reding touring style, slow and easy but when running interstate its speed limit or a little over.

thanks Jack for the info, I looked at it and have seen this page before. I'm hoping for quite a few more miles before I'll have to take it apart.

There is no substitute for taking care of your ride and also treating it with respect. If you like to crank throttle and jam gears, well guess what you will get in return. An old COP once told me back in 1965 that a chain and sprockets should last at least 24,000 miles, and that wasn't the fancy O-Ring chain of today. Guess what, I could never a set last that long no matter how much I tried.

Later,

Gator

Back