free website stats program Engine knock after dealership service | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine knock after dealership service

vegte44

I just would like a few opinions on this problem before I decide to have the motor rebuilt or not: I bought this 93 FXDL from a local HD dealership 2 yrs ago for a good price, the bike had 49,000 mi and was in great shape. I was told that they did a full service including new tires before they put it on the sales floor.

I put about about 3100 mi on it since then, so I decided to take it to a closer HD dealership for a service, engine had a few ticks and an oil leak on the mids shifter seal. I told them not to worry about the oil leak after they quoted me a stupid price while they had the bike. After over paying ($190) on the service which they quoted me $120, I made it about 4 miles before my engine started knocking. I babied it home and I went back to the dealership to which their comment was "we told you it could go at anytime". Funny that it wasn't knocking when I dropped it off!!!!!!

The bike sat in the corner of my garage until it dawned on me that they had moved my shifter so they must have had the primary cover off. So I took the cover off and I noticed that my primary chain was loose.

My bike has always ran great even with the little ticks here and there. I can't pin point the knock. It is consistent with the rpms so I am thinking piston slap. Service records state that the top end was redone at 27,000 mi.

So your comments and opinions are welcomed. This is my first BT Evo being that I have had mostly Shovelheads, to which I am more familiar with their noises and quirks.

I would assume you readjusted your Primary chain? If so I guess the knocking is still there? Most noises for the Evo's are the same as the Shovels. Exactly what service did they do, oil,primary,& trans.? None of which should cause a knock.
tourbox

Primary chain can make noise if it's loose. You can also develop rattles from loose parts of the bike that can sound engine related. Did you readjust the primary chain? Could be a bad tappet also. Its hard to say what it really is without hearing it.

Back