free website stats program Engine Drain plug magnet Fuzz.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Drain plug magnet Fuzz..

Hoople

Account Removed
Those of you that change your own ENGINE oil at an interval of say about 3000 miles, when you clean the drain magnet, how much fuzz, if any will you remove from the magnet. I am talking about cleaning the magnet with a white tissue not an oily rag. Just a guess of how much fuzz will you find on the magnet at a change of 3000 miles. And if I may ask, which engine oil do you use.

I don't know if it really means anything but I changed my oil the other day after 3000 miles, and there was None, and I mean No fuzz on the magnet. I made a slight change to the oil this time around and this is the 1st time ever, that the magnet was spotless. I am curious to see what collects on the magnet at my next oil change. I have always seen a very very small amount in the past.

I was very surprised at what I found this time around and just wonder if this is a common event for those of you who use one of the high end oils such as Mobil 1, V-twin, Spectrol etc.

When you say a slight change did you change the type of filter that you use? On my 05FLTRI on a white tissue usually get a little gray sluge. I use HD 20/50 non syn.

I still use HD dyno and have slight gray on my plug:s

I get a very slight amount of gray powder, maybe half the the amount of gun powder in a single dot of cap gun roll. Do they still make those red rolls...? :D

Hoop

If the oil is a quality oil and it's doing it's job, you will get very little sludge on the magnet. If you switch from something like Syn 3 to spectro (trans), the spectro oil change will not find anything on the trans magnet after a change unlike an inferior oil whee there would be a significant amount.

Likewise in the engine compartment. There shouldn't be a lot in there with most oils but a bit of grey matter (not brains) would be on the plug from normal wear and shouldn't be an indicator of a problem unless you find particulate on the plug.

Small amount of fuzz on the primary plug......Zero on the engine, Zero on the trans plug. 55,000mile and running synthetic in all three holes. Change engine & primary at 5,000 and tranny at 10,000
Spectro 6speed in the tranny
Amsoil 20/50 in the engine
Amsoil 10/40 in the primary
and no, I'm not trying to sell you any, I'm not part of a conspiracy/paramid scheme, and my clutch doesn't slip with synthetic in the primary......... you asked so, it is what it is.

With Mobil 1 20/50 vtwin I get nothing on the engine plug at all. I think a little would be the norm.

maybe half the the amount of gun powder in a single dot of cap gun roll. Do they still make those red rolls...? :D

I have not seen a roll of those in years. I do remember standing a full roll on its edge and hitting it with a hammer. It was loud.:)

As for the fuzz, I thought what I was seeing (no fuzz) was something unheard of but I see now it is not. I am using the 5 micron chrome HD filters.

Tks for the replies!

Hoople if you really want to see what is being trapped in your oil, I cut the oil filter open after every third fill. As my 94FLSTC got more miles (over 70,000) I started to see more trapped fine metal.

Back