free website stats program Engine dies when it returns to idle | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine dies when it returns to idle

Zorrgg

bike is an 07 softail FXST with Vance & Hines Big Radius pipes, V&H fuelpak, and a high flow after market air filter. About a week ago after riding a Patriot Guard procession it would die when coming up at a light or going to idle (even at highway speed). The only way I could keep it running was to hold some throttle on. Accelerates just fine, runs just fine at highway speed. will pop back to life if you jump it at highway speed.

I noticed after having the pipes installed (about a year ago) it will backfire at times when letting off the throttle. This last week it has been doing it even more.

I've cleaned the air filter, cleaned the butterfly, check the throttle cables for binding and smooth operation. the butterfly will close about 80% if you let it snap shut, and then will close the rest of the way.

Motor has about 14,500miles.

I'm thinking of checking the settings on the fuelpak or resetting them.

Any body run into this before?

Thanks, Zorrgg.

bike is an 07 softail FXST with Vance & Hines Big Radius pipes, V&H fuelpak, and a high flow after market air filter. About a week ago after riding a Patriot Guard procession it would die when coming up at a light or going to idle (even at highway speed). The only way I could keep it running was to hold some throttle on. Accelerates just fine, runs just fine at highway speed. will pop back to life if you jump it at highway speed.

I noticed after having the pipes installed (about a year ago) it will backfire at times when letting off the throttle. This last week it has been doing it even more.

I've cleaned the air filter, cleaned the butterfly, check the throttle cables for binding and smooth operation. the butterfly will close about 80% if you let it snap shut, and then will close the rest of the way.

Motor has about 14,500miles.

I'm thinking of checking the settings on the fuelpak or resetting them.

Any body run into this before?

Thanks, Zorrgg.

Harley Davidson Community have a look at this:s

The throttle should snap closed ALL the way. Check your cables for proper adjustment.
Have you lubed the cables? Is return spring on throttle body ok? Stretched?
Have you cleaned out the idle air valve?
Check out the self help for all the above services. Hope this helps!
wilks3
:USA

throttle cables were all ok. I tood apart the throttle and cleaned the bar and re-treated with graphite. Put a couple of drops of very light lube down each cable. put it all back together. Also, thorroughly cleaned the throttle body and got all traces of buildup off the walls. I did shoot some carb cleaner up the IAC port, sorta tried to flush it out. Throttle seemed to snap back to idle better. Fired it up, and at first it coughed and took about 5 seconds of cranking to fire. Once fired though, settled down and ran just fine. Better still, pulling up to a stop the motor established a good firm idle, and doesn't hesitate when you start back in on the throttle. Also, before on a down shift, the engine would die, now, you can tell it's not going to. So, threw my honey on the back and we went for a little ride, no problems. Thanks for the pointer to the IAC.
Could not read any codes off the bike display however. I guess the 07 softtail FXST doesn't have that capability. I sure couldn't get it to display anything. Zorrgg.

Your 07 softail does indeed have the DTC capability to retrieve codes.

Harley Davidson Community

You may want to add the year and model of your bike to your profile area to make it easier for others to reply with information. It just says HD there now.

ok. thanks for the suggestion. it seems easier to trouble shoot the bike than find my profile.
Zorrgg

You describe the same problems I was having with my 2008 Dyna Custom. I also have V&H exhaust, Big Sucker air cleaner and V&H FuelPak. I briefly experienced the no-idle problem a year ago, then it seemed to correct itself. Last week, it started again. I took it to the HD shop. After it completely cooled down, it started and idled OK. The shop blamed it on the V&H FuelPak and replaced the FuelPak with their own programmable HD version ($550). It runs fine now, but I haven't ridden much since the change.

Ther seems to be quite a few posts on Fuel packs going bad lately. I'm wondering if they were really bad or just the dealer trying to sell their own product.

Please let us know if this solves your problem or not.

Thanks

Back