free website stats program Engine diagnostic light. | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine diagnostic light.

Romain

The engine diagnostic light comes on after a few minutes running.
I have just had a 5000miles service but I have checked the oil which looks fine just in case. If i stop the engine, turn the ignition off and then start again, the light goes off, at least for a while. The engine seems to behave and sound normally.
I called my local HD to book a check up and they told me that this sometimes happen and that I shouldn't worry too much and that it was OK to ride.
I'd hate to blow an engine or cause any damage to it.
Are they right and what could be the cause of the trouble.

The engine diagnostic light comes on after a few minutes running.
I have just had a 5000miles service but I have checked the oil which looks fine just in case. If i stop the engine, turn the ignition off and then start again, the light goes off, at least for a while. The engine seems to behave and sound normally.
I called my local HD to book a check up and they told me that this sometimes happen and that I shouldn't worry too much and that it was OK to ride.
I'd hate to blow an engine or cause any damage to it.
Are they right and what could be the cause of the trouble.

IMO ----- any wrench-bender takes that stance on a potential problem isn't worth his salt and I don't care if it's a HD shop or a indy.!!! It could be a multitude of things from a simple loose wire to something inside the jugs.. Other than an oil change ,what else have you had done to it???

I had new front brake pads and spark plugs fitted plus the oil change and a new oil filter, the hefty bill tells me. Thanks for the help, by the way.

Check to see that the plug wires are on all the way and the tips of the plugs where the wires attach aren't loose.

I'm just printing the codes (thanks for the link Glider.) and as soon as it's done I will go and check it out.
I'm reasonably handy with a spanner but I am not yet familiar with my machine and as it is just still under guarantee I am a little cautious about tinkering with it just yet.

Man! I didn't even realised that there was a built in diagnostic system, very impressive.
I followed the procedure and it gave me the error code P0134 : Front 02 Sensor low (lean).
Am I right in assuming that it is an injection related problem.
Is it lethal? Should I ride the bike to the shop or get it on a transporter?
The plug wires were OK.

Could be the injector but most likely the 02 sensor itself. Call the dealer and let them make the decision to pick it up or you ride it. This way any damage is on them.
Probably not a problem to ride it in anyway.

Amazing what you can do with just a little instruction...next is the servicing of the bike BY YOU! :D

Just picked the Bike from the local HD repair shop. They confirmed the diagnostic. The O2 sensor had packed up and needed to be replaced. No charge as the Bike is still (just) under guarantee.
As soon as it runs out, I will take out my tool kit, look forward to it.

Back