free website stats program Engine cut out while riding Any ideas??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine cut out while riding Any ideas???

Roulph

I have a 2004 deuce efi which has screamin eagle heads, pistons, air filter, race tuner and slip ons. I ride the bike every day and do a long 1000 km run about once a month. Over the last few months I have had a series of problems culminating in the engine cutting out on the highway at about 85 miles per hour in traffic (really scary) 3 months ago the starter motor burnt out while riding, this was replaced by the local dealer, shortly after that my zumo 660 gps, (which is wired as per the installation guide directly to the battery), stopped charging but the fuze and wiring were ok. I then had a few cut outs at low speed but once everything was switched off and started again the bike started immediately. After that I had a problem with the new starter motor (after 500 kilometers) trying to engage again after start up. The dealer recovered the bike as the starter motor kept trying to engage while the bike was running while stationary. They changed the right hand start button assembly and this seemed to solve the starter motor problem. recently the bike cut out at 90mph prior to cutting out the bike sounded a bit rough for a few seconds as if the timing was off. Switched everything off and it started up as normal. I live in Malaysia and frequently ride through very heavy monsoon rain, the temperature here is very high as is the humidity.The bike has done about 55000 miles in these conditions with a few minor problems. Next week my wife and I are off on a 4000 kilometer ride through Thailand in some pretty remote areas near the Loa and Burmese border any ideas what the problem could be. My wifes 11 year old sporty never seems to have any problems with the weather or mechanical issues (touch wood)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - Richard

Based just on just what you said, it sure sounds like a bad (intermittent) ignition switch assembly. You did not say if you loose current time of day on the digital speed-o head. If you DO loose time of day, then my first guess would Not be the ignition switch.

on efi models, the engine will cut out if it is overheating.

Heat management mode will kill 1 cylinder at idle RPM but it won't kill the engine while going down the highway doing 85 MPH. HD would never do that because it would be a safety Hazard.

Have you checked the battery and connections, also check all fuses as you say you are in the rain alot, use dilectric grease on all fuses and connections:D

Hope we now have the problem sorted, I have changed the 30 amp circuit breaker to a higher resistance breaker, there was corrosion on the connectors additionally the ignition key module was stripped and I found the the connectors were corroded cleaned everything up an coated it with a conductive moli grease additionally the battery was giving a full reading but looked out of shape while checking the output I gave it a shake and the voltage dropped so there might have been some internal damage to the plates. Checked the TSM for water penetration which has happened before and it was fine.

No problems since doing all of this so keeping my fingers crossed.

Ride safe and happy everyone .

Good deal Rouph, doing this routine maintenance with through cleaning and dielectric grease to seal the contacts, keeps moisture/air out are key to prevent corrosion. If you see any evidence of corrosion on the fuse contacts, clean them with electronic control spray, mating and unmating fuse (even replacing them as they are only 50 cents each and you can keep the "good ones" as spares after cleaning them.

faulty system relay maybe, there have been 2 changes to the system relay since 01 and it will cause the bike to shut down, and can come and go

Back