free website stats program Engine "break-in" at the H-D York Factory | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine "break-in" at the H-D York Factory

Jim B.

I was in Pennsylvania last week and took the opportunity to take the plant tour at the Harley-Davidson facility in York, PA. They showed us the area where they dyno test all of the touring, soft-tail and CVO models that they make at that factory. The technician rolls the bike onto the rollers and shifts through the gears until the bike is at about 75 miles an hour. It's at that speed for a few seconds and then it is allowed to coast back to 0 mph. Other than the technician watching various monitors, that's all there is to it. I thought I would post this since there always seems to be some question about what kind of break-in of the motor is done at the factory.

They do cars the same way. They call it the rolls test, they check that trans shifts at speed, check signals to make sure they cancell check cruise control check wipers and washers and also they have convex mirrors to check all the lights and also check all electrical functions. All fluids are topped off as well as emission functions, and heater and A/C functions are checked. Just like doing a road test but they are just spinng their wheels and going nowhere.

not to change the subject , but did you have to make an appointment for the tour ? or can i just show up and take one ?

I was in Pennsylvania last week and took the opportunity to take the plant tour at the Harley-Davidson facility in York, PA. They showed us the area where they dyno test all of the touring, soft-tail and CVO models that they make at that factory. The technician rolls the bike onto the rollers and shifts through the gears until the bike is at about 75 miles an hour. It's at that speed for a few seconds and then it is allowed to coast back to 0 mph. Other than the technician watching various monitors, that's all there is to it. I thought I would post this since there always seems to be some question about what kind of break-in of the motor is done at the factory.

If you are planning to take the tour, you should arrive at the plant as early as possible. The tours fill up pretty fast and that will get worse as we approach summer. You might get there at noon and find that they have already given out tickets for all the tours right up to when they stop at 2:00p.m.

The plant is noisy. They give you a clip-on receiver and earphone so that you can hear the tour guide above all the noise. I wish I had brought one of my ear plugs for the other ear. Also, the plant is hot. Plan accordingly.

Back