free website stats program Enclosed trailer for your bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Enclosed trailer for your bike

mnultra

Looking for advice and opinions. I am looking for a trailer (so I can escape the beautiful :newsmile08:weather up here in the north) and am wondering if the dovetail is worth the extra money. It doesn't seem that the standard floor would create that much of an issue but I am looking to you experts :D I am looking at a 7X12 tandem with the v-nose front.

Looking for advice and opinions. I am looking for a trailer (so I can escape the beautiful :newsmile08:weather up here in the north) and am wondering if the dovetail is worth the extra money. It doesn't seem that the standard floor would create that much of an issue but I am looking to you experts :D I am looking at a 7X12 tandem with the v-nose front.

I have a 7 X 14 cargo trailer I would like to sell... checker board floor...diamond metal trim... holds 2 bikes side by side. 2007 model.. has the rear load door ramp...dual axel. Bought the trailer new to take our bikes out of the city so my wife could learn to ride in the country. Since she now has 15,000 miles on her bike, we do not use it anymore.

I have a 7 X 14 cargo trailer I would like to sell... checker board floor...diamond metal trim... holds 2 bikes side by side. 2007 model.. has the rear load door ramp...dual axel. Bought the trailer new to take our bikes out of the city so my wife could learn to ride in the country. Since she now has 15,000 miles on her bike, we do not use it anymore.

I don't know why my location wasn't showing up but, I think I fixed it :) I am quite a drive from you, and th eonly way I'm making that drive this time of year is with the HD in tow :rider Just out of curiosity, does your trailer have the dovetail or is it a standars flat floor. If it is the flat floor, any problems with height loading or unloading?

I don't personally have an enclosed trailer, but have borrowed 2 different ones. (one of each). I see no advantage of the dovetail as long as you have the ramp door. It actually becomes a hinderance if you use the trailer for anything else. The guy that does have the dovetail built a plywood and 2x4 frame to slide in and make the floor flat for other uses.
If you have a lowered bike, or your not loading on a flat surface, you can prop up the drop gate with a brick or board to make the angle less. Most have a flap to fold down at the rear anyhow.
My .02 cents, hope it helps.

(My personal trailer is a 5X10 open with a landscapers gate.)

I don't personally have an enclosed trailer, but have borrowed 2 different ones. (one of each). I see no advantage of the dovetail as long as you have the ramp door. It actually becomes a hinderance if you use the trailer for anything else. The guy that does have the dovetail built a plywood and 2x4 frame to slide in and make the floor flat for other uses.
If you have a lowered bike, or your not loading on a flat surface, you can prop up the drop gate with a brick or board to make the angle less. Most have a flap to fold down at the rear anyhow.
My .02 cents, hope it helps.

(My personal trailer is a 5X10 open with a landscapers gate.)

Thanks for the input. It didn't appear that it would make much of a difference. It will be used for other things as well. My bike won't become a trailer baby :bigsmiley12:

I don't know why my location wasn't showing up but, I think I fixed it :) I am quite a drive from you, and th eonly way I'm making that drive this time of year is with the HD in tow :rider Just out of curiosity, does your trailer have the dovetail or is it a standars flat floor. If it is the flat floor, any problems with height loading or unloading?

It's a flat front... when shopping I looked for a few weeks and all types of trailers. Decided the flat front would service some other purposes if needed. (more room inside) The main thing I wanted was dual axel.. The ceiling height is 6' so makes it nice loading and unloading. Like I said purchased to take our bikes out of the city so my wife could learn to ride her own. After that was accomplished it just sits in the back of my drive way. Was going to put it up for sale this spring...

I've heard people say they really don't care for the dovetail because of it not being flat. I however have never used one.

Stick with the flat floor,if you go with a leaf spring trailer go with drop axles ,if purchasing a torsion axle trailer try to find a trailer with an upswept torsion arm this keeps your trailer lower which makes it easier to load,and will handle better when towing. If you wan't more information or specs on any trailer feel free to pm me

Back