free website stats program Emergency stop - heard some-a-clankin' | Harley Davidson Forums

Emergency stop - heard some-a-clankin'

CRCKR

Riding down the road today a truck wiped out in front of me and I had to come to a complete stop ASAP from 85mph.

I employed my common sense, and didn't have time to downshift while I was heavily braking because I didn't want to lose any rear traction. I held the clutch in like it was a winning jackpot lotto ticket, distributed brake pressure twixt fore and aft well and I was as shocked at how fast the streetglide can come to a controlled stop as I was happy that I never let myself stay in a position where someone is riding my fender..

What I noticed, though, was some clash and clutter sounds coming from (I think the chaincase.)

I rode another 190 miles without any apparent problems but I'm curious what may have caused that.. maybe just the torque being released while under high load for a while and spinning/pressing?

Anyway, home now. Time for rum, steaks on the grill and watching yesterdays Stanley Cup Playoff game.

It wasn't ABS noise, I have heard that during testing (not in real life dangers) . This was not like something was clickety poker card sounds but it was a metal on metal slap almost like you hear in a gear shift when going down to 1st sometimes. Key word being 'almost.'

Primary chain coping with reverse forces?
That's what I'm thinking... I was under load going up a mountain @ 3300rpm (ish) in 4th . It just sounded horrible, man. I initially thought clutch not engaging? But my shifts went great after my stop. It just sounded like nothing I've heard since one of my old shovels and I didn't expect any slap.Even though mines a late 2018 'm thinking that it is is this:

Last edited:
Back