free website stats program elusive oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

elusive oil leak

I went out for a 50 mile ride the other day. When I got back to the house and parked the bike there was an oil spot in the garage about the size of a base ball. It's coming from near the top of the engine so I don't think the head gasket is bad. Could it be an O-ring or something else. Hopefully not too major.

Only way of telling where it's coming from is to clean it down and run it again. Possible it's coming from the air filter from being overfilled?

if it is the rocker box gaskets that leaking its most likley itll be the lower gasket they are prone to leaking after a while
its a 2 part paper gasket but has been replaced at some point by a 1 piece metal gasket
if it is the lower gasket thats gone there is a bit of stripping to do to get to it as the rockers have to be removed to replace the gasket
best to invest in a service manual and read it a few times prior to starting the job
allow yourself pleanty of time because you could have a fair bit of time scraping the old gaskets off

Brian

I don't see any oil on or near the front half of the engine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to anything that might be less major than the rocker box? It only puddled up after sitting for several hours. It seems to be coming from somewhere above the spark plug.

If above the spark plug it could be the rocker box cover...clean the bike very carefully and double check after a long ride again to be sure. Don't forget to clean all the oil line hoses and fittings, some are kinda hard to get into or identify in case you find the leak is "lower", so a service manual is a must!

the only place you should find oil above the spark plug is in the rocker box so we are still looking at the rocker box however oil migrates round an air cooled engine very well
so clean off oil the oil using a propriety DE greaser
then run the bike and check carefully for the source of the leak

Brian

A service manual is a must for Evos u need to remove the rocker boxes in a special order as well as re torquing them buy a manual and good luck

Back