free website stats program Electrics shut bike down at 7000rpm | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrics shut bike down at 7000rpm

hjddrill

Hi all. Can anyone help. The engine in my shovel frame is a FLX 1984 kick start.
The bike starts fine. After warming up i slowly increase rpm then at around 7000rpm the bike shuts down. It dose not miss it just dies. When riding the same thing happens. The bike shuts down for about 5 seconds and then starts again because i am in motion. It has to be electrical i believe.

Cheers

Are you sure it's electrical...could something be starving the air, or fuel mix at high RPM & it's allowing the engine to cutoff?

I am only estemating 7000rpm as i dont have a tacko. But it is basiclly giving the bike a gut full to pass a car. It has always run fine and only just started doing this.

I think it must be i have checked the basics of full and air and it seams ok. Do you know a way to test this?

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure you not hitting a mechanical limiter that remove the fuel or shuts out the spark to stop you revving so high?

I agree. Most ignition systems do have some type of limiter. Are you running a stock ignition? If not, what are you running. What type of trigger system does it have. (points, hall effect, light chopper, reluctance, etc) Need some info.

Back